Rugby union round-up: Wheatley struggle as Thorne impress

Wheatley's Ryan Craswell. Picture: Andrew Roe
Wheatley's Ryan Craswell. Picture: Andrew Roe

Wheatley Hills lost out 21-12 to promotion hopefuls Morley as their North One East campaign continued to disappoint.

Battling against the wind in the first half, the Doncaster side were nevertheless still in the game at half time at 5-6, with No 8 Gareth Burns having scored for Wheatley five minutes before the break.

But after play resumed, Morley pulled away.

A kick by Wheatley was charged down and Morley left winger Simon Bradshaw, who had kicked two first half penalties, raced in for a 46th minute try to put his side 14-5 ahead.

Flanker Ryan Craswell touched down for Wheatley on 65 minutes and full-back Jonny Woodcock added the conversion to narrow the gap to 14-12, but the West Yorkshire side made sure of victory with a converted try ten minutes from the end.

* Wath on Dearne were beaten 45-29 by Yorkshire One promotion hopefuls at Moor Road on Saturday.

The visitors went 26-0 ahead early in the game before Wath got off the mark with fly-half Adam West touching down.

Centre Andy Hopkin added a second try shortly after, and winger Tom Quinn kicked the conversion and a penalty to narrow the gap to 26-15.

Driffield extended their lead with a converted try early in the second period, and although West added a second try shortly after which Quinn converted, the East Yorkshire side added a sixth try to maintain their lead.

A seventh try for Driffield ended Wath’s hopes of a comeback, although back row Gareth Webb did touch down late in the game, Quinn converting the consolation.

* Thornensians recorded what manager Kevin Bull described as the most satisfying win of the season as they beat Leeds Medics 26-17 with a side that included seven second team players.

It was first team number eight Ryan Pilley who opened the scoring after three minutes but it was their second-string kicker Konrad Hanson who made the conversion.

Leeds Medics, known for their open attacking rugby, soon took the upper hand, running in two tries and kicking a penalty to make it 7-17.

But Thornensians rallied and back row Martin Moffatt, filling in at 12, pulled it back to 12-17.

Hanson found the gap in the posts again from a penalty to make it 15-17 and then in the second half 18-year-old Rob Raper scored a try to make it 23-17. Konrad hit two more penalties to seal the win.

* Rossington Hornets produced a solid performance to record their second win of the season against fellow strugglers Stanley Rodillians in Yorkshire Five on Saturday.

Tries from Kai Wheatley, Sam Millward, Andrew Edwards and Nickolas Ashton put them level on points with Stanley but in the second half it was the accuracy of Wheatley’s boot which made the difference as he kicked the penalties that clinched a 39-31 victory.

* Doncaster Amateurs left West Yorkshire smiling after taking a 15-41 win from Garforth in Yorkshire Five.

Scrum half Michael Hall led the scoring with a hat-trick and Paul Steadman bagged a brace but a special mention goes to 18-year-old number seven Lewis Starbuck who crashed over to score a try on his first senior appearance.

See this week’s Free Press for Doncaster Phoenix match report and pictures.