Rugby union round-up: Four-try Peacey guides Phoenix back to the top

Ryan Peacey
Ryan Peacey

Doncaster Phoenix are joint top of Yorkshire One after notching a 43-19 victory at Acklam on Saturday.

Former leaders Ilkey slipped up at Selby, allowing Phoenix to draw level on points at the top as they go in search of back-to-back promotions.

Playing with the wind in the first half, Phoenix were 26-0 ahead by the break.

No 8 Ryan Peacey scored a hat trick in the first 40 minutes, while prop Dan Morris also touched down and stand-off Ben Millar kicked three conversions.

After the break Peacey scored his fourth try, while Miller and second row Nick Byrne also got their names on the scoresheet, with a fourth conversion coming from Millar.

Dinnington, Phoenix and Ilkley are all tied for top spot on 69 points.

Phoenix are going in search of a second successive promotion after winning the Yorkshire Two title last year.

Fourth placed Wath on Dearne are now five points ahead of York in the Yorkshire One table after picking up a handy win on the road in terrible conditions.

It was winger Steve Mason who once again came up with the goods for Wath, scoring a try in each half.

The conditions did not lend themselves to kicking but full back Tom Quinn managed to find the target early on in the game to give Wath the lead, scoring three points with a penalty.

But York held their own and hit back with a try through one of their props.

Mason got off the mark with his first try but York took an 11-8 lead after kicking a penalty after the break.

With ten minutes remaining, Mason collected the ball before crashing over to secure another win for Wath.

Wheatley Hills were well beaten 29-0 on their visit to table-topping Cleckheaton.

The leaders ran in four unanswered tries to secure their 17th win in 18 matches, while Hills were left seventh in the table following the defeat.

Left winger Martin Woodhead got the ball rolling with a 15th minute try which Ross Hayden converted, and he was on target again following Michael Piper’s 25th minute score.

Hayden added a penalty on the half hour as Cleckheaton opened up a 17-0 lead at half time.

Five minutes after play resumed in the second half, wing forward Rob Afoa-Peterson added a third try which made it 22-0.

Finally, No 8 Richard Piper scored with a minute left, Hayden converting to complete the win.

Thornensians’ scheduled Yorkshire Three clash at Old Modernians fell victim to a waterlogged pitch. It will be replayed this Saturday.

Elsewhere, Rossington Hornets were beaten 17-10 at Rotherham Clifton in their Yorkshire Five clash.

Saturday’s fixtures

Yorkshire Three: Old Modernians v Thornensians.