Rare defeat for Sheffield Tigers but Sheffield RUFC stay on top

Ben Parker grabbed a brace of tries for Sheffield
Ben Parker grabbed a brace of tries for Sheffield

Sheffield Tigers slipped out of the top three of National Three North with a 23-17 defeat at leaders Sandal.

Tigers are now behind Sandal, Sale and Waterloo, but could well go back in front of Waterloo when their campaign resumes against mid-table Billingham at Dore Moor on January 3.

After turning round 20-14 at Sandal, Tigers stuck to the task well in a second half which was restricted to just one penalty goal apiece.

Tom Outram and Peter Swatkins scored Tigers’ tries, while Outram kicked both conversions and a penalty.

Sheffield won again to keep top spot in North One East, beating fourth-placed Rochdale 29-9 at home. They were on top throughout and opened the scoring aftert three minutes with wing forward Alex Fawdry crashing over for a try.

Rochdale’s points were all scored by James Duffy from penalty situations.

Sheffield suffered no such problems as Ben Parker scored two and Tony Stringwell and Gather Morley both chipped in to help them win the game. Number 10 Jimmy Pearson also added to the tally, converting two of the tries.

Dinnington moved up to fourth place ahead of Rochdale thanks to a losing bonus at West Hartlepool, where they went down 9-3 in a match decided on penalty goals.

Full-back Tyle Stimpson missed a first-half kick, and West were 9-0 ahead when Stimpson’s replacement Chris Williams slotted over a penalty with eight minutes remaining.

The home side were often under pressure, but Dinnington – who were without skipper Matt Starr at prop and stand-off Jonny West - were unable to force their way over.

In Yorkshire One, Wath on Dearne looked set to pull off a home win over higher placed Scarborough but in the end had to settle for a 10-10 draw.

Wath went ahead with a fifth minute try by No 8 Matt Burrows and increased their lead just before the break when 17-year-old winger Ben Cairns raced over for his first senior try for the club.

Scarborough scored from a maul in almost the last play of the first half, and they went over again within five minutes of the restart.

The visitors were down to 14 men for the last 35 minutes after having a player sent off, but three successive yellow cards meant that Wath only had a one-man advantage for ten minutes.

Barnsley, after going ahead with a penalty goal from Andrew Appleyard, were well beaten 20-3 in their Yorkshire Two match against Leodiensians at Shaw Lane.

Leos equalised just before half time with a drop goal from stand-off Ed Farmer, and they took control with two second-half tries.

Sheffield Medicals beat Ripon 29-3 at home on Saturday, scoring four tries in the process.

Second row Chris Sefton crashed over in the first half to help the home side to a 10-3 lead at the break and further tries from Ben Currie, Wiffy Watkinson and Ben Tucker stretched out the lead.

Stocksbridge made it three wins in a row with a 19-7 defeat of Burley. Liam O’Leary scored two tries and Ricky Rowitt scored the other with Scott Bowskill kicking two conversions.

Mosborough lost out 22-19 at Leeds Corinthians in Yorkshire Four.