Sam Sheedy beats Bradley Pryce

Sam Sheedy
Sam Sheedy

Sam Sheedy earned the most impressive victory of his career to date as he outpointed former Commonwealth champion Bradley Pryce at Doncaster Racecourse.

In a blood and thunder battle, Sheedy surged into supremacy after the first three rounds with his superb speed causing Pryce plenty of headaches.

Once he found his groove, the Sheffield fighter danced in and out of range, consistently tagging his Welsh opponent.

Pryce looked to bully Sheedy and force him back onto the ropes, but his proficiency at such a tactic waned as the fight wore on.

Sheedy received a 77-76 decision from referee John Latham but looked to have done enough for a wider margin.

Earlier in the night, Fir Vale’s former ABA champion Waleed Din added further weight to his ferocious reputation with a punishing first round stoppage of Patrick Bartos.

Din demonstrated his superb speed, nipping inside to land some hefty body shots against an overwhelmed foe.

A huge left hook to the body severely hurt Bartos and as he turned towards his corner, Din pounced and downed the opponent.

Bartos rose but shook his head at his corner and the towel quickly came in.

Jason Cunningham began his comeback from defeat to Ross Burkinshaw in September’s Commonwealth bantamweight title fight with a classy stoppage of late-change opponent Ignat Kassai.

Cunningham showed impressive accuracy against a bigger foe than he is accustomed, piercing the guard regularly.

The Doncaster fighter landed a number of hefty hooks but the tough Kassai looked capable of withstanding what was thrown at him.

But a quickfire barrage from Cunningham at the start of the fourth proved enough to raise concern from referee Michael Alexander.

And a big hook a minute in rattled Kassai enough for Alexander to step in and end the punishment.

There was another stoppage from a Doncaster fighter as Luke Crowcroft ended his clash with Jamie Gelder in explosive fashion in the first round.

Crowcroft was backed into the ropes by Gelder and responded with a superb uppercut which sent the opponent backpedalling across the ring.

A big right hook put Gelder down and he made no attempt to raise to his feet before the end of the count.

For a more detailed report of the Racecourse fight night, see Monday’s Star.