Disaster averted

Moorends-Thorne Marauders' Shaun Carver
Moorends-Thorne Marauders' Shaun Carver

A LATE converted try from Shaun Carver earned Moorends Thorne Marauders a narrow 22-20 victory over Manston to rejuvinate their hopes for promotion from Yorkshire Division Two.

The Marauders survived a mini-collapse in the second half – where a 16 point lead quickly evaporated – to battle back for victory.

The early stages saw sterling defensive work from the Marauders with Phil Cuttell, Ernie Lake, Shane Lake and David Chowins leading from the front against a young and enthusiastic Manston team eager to justify their lofty position in the table.

But in the later periods of the second half Ryan Rafferty, Mark Roach and Craig Hookway linked with the power and pace of Pickles, Speight, Wayne Rafferty and Jason Blanchard to give Moorends the attacking edge.

A set piece move well executed saw Roach go over on 22 minutes with Rafferty converting.

Busy second row Cuttell scored his first try for the club as the Marauders kicked on.

Carver set off on a blistering run and offloaded to Armstrong who found Rafferty before Cuttell took possession and crashed over in the corner for a converted effort.

Roach was on hand again to finish some fine work and bring the score to 16-0 at the break.

Everything looked good for Moorends heading into the second half but they suffered a collapse in the early stages.

Manston grabbed four quick fire tries with two converted to put themselves in front and leave the Marauders wondering what had gone wrong.

But they showed remarkable character to rally and push for the victory.

However, it took a good amount of last ditch defending to ensure they were in a position to do so.

Attacking moves soon developed but try as Moorends might, the final passes were not ticking with the clock ticking.

Stand off Chowins and Roach were leading the charge to avail with the latter also involved in important tackling.

But Carver finally did find the gap the Marauders were looking for and dashed through near to the posts, allowing Rafferty to knock over the all important conversion.

Moorends spent the last four minutes defending for their lives but held on for the win.

The Marauders have no game this weekend due to the Super League Millenium Festival but return on February 19 with the visit of Dewsbury Celtic.