Boxer penalised for alleged biting seals KO over Sheffield rival

Brad Botham, left, v Haroon Karim
Brad Botham, left, v Haroon Karim

Sheffield light-welterweight Haroon Karim debuted against West Melton’s Brad Botham but was wiped out in a bizarre fight yesterday.

Botham was deducted two points by referee John Latham in round two for an alleged bite at Sheffield Octagon.

Knowing he probably needed a knockout, Botham produced it 20 seconds into the third with a huge right hand.

Waleed Din shone again to move to three straight stoppage victories as a professional on a bumper weekend.

Former ABA champion Din took the plaudits at the Octagon by stopping Patrik Kovacs from Slovakia.

Flyweight Din dropped his man with an early right handed body shot and followed it up with more pressure to force the stoppage with just 2.09 gone.

Muheeb Fazeldin kept his unbeaten run going at featherweight against Barrington Brown from Nottingham.

Fazeldin survived a few scares along the way but his work rate told and he was awarded a 58-57 decision.

Super-bantam Uzair Najib extended his unbeaten run against Georgian Giorgi Kulumbegashvili. Najib edged the contest 40-37.

Two of the boxing Nassa brothers, Loua and Ramzy were to feature on the show but only one did.

Bantam Loua faced Doncaster debutant Craig Derbyshire and had to dig deep to get the win.

All the eye catching shots came from the Doncaster man although Nassa looked technically better.

Ramzy’s fight with FrancIs Croes had to be cancelled as the Middlesbrough man’s partner was in labour.

Heavyweight Richard Towers returned to action after little over a year out on Saturday. Towers endured a crippling loss to Australian bruiser Lucas Browne last year and has moved to London to rebuild under David Haye’s former trainer Adam Booth.

The first step on the road to rebuilding was a fairly easy one against Croatian Hrvoje Kisicek. Towers got the best of both worlds at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, with Kisicek taking him until the sixth round before being stopped.

There were also bills in Doncaster and Barnsley – with Doncaster’s Jason Cunningham losing a top of the bill show at the Dome.

The southpaw bantamweight was beaten by a point by wily old operator Jason Booth – who excelled on the inside over the ten rounder.

Barnsley’s Andy Townend won in an English super-featherweight title final eliminator in destructive style against Peter Cope from Hartlepool.

Townend decked Cope twice in the fourth round with left hooks before the contest was stopped.

There was a points win for Doncaster’s Steven Hale – who returned to action for the first time in more than three years with a routine victory over Youssef Al Hamidi from Dewsbury.

Barnsley lightweight Robbie Barrett, middleweight Adam Jones from Denaby and Stainforth light-middle Aston Jolly notched wins over the distance. Luke Crowcroft from Doncaster was also a winner over four rounds.

Barnsley fighters Ben Wager and Ben Davies both scored stoppage victories on the Metrodome show.

Wager stopped Michael Mooney from Worcester in an English lightweight eliminator.

Davies beat Mike Byles from Coventry at middleweight to claim the British Masters silver title and a slice of revenge after Byles beat him in September at the same venue.

Parson Cross middleweight Wayne Reed was also fighting at the Metrodome – he edged out Wiltshire’s Dan Blackwell 39-38.

Barnsley cruiserweight Tony Cruise was beaten on the show by Wakefield’s James Oliphant but light-welter Lee Gibbons, also from Barnsley, beat journeyman Jason Nesbitt on points.

Sheffield’s Kas Hussain had an unsuccessful trip to Walsall – losing on points to hometown lightweight Ryan Corrigan.