United still in hunt for cup

DENABY United moved into the quarter-finals of the League Cup after coming from behind to beat Premier Division Carcroft Village.

The victory set up a tie with either Hemsworth Town or Thorne Colliery on March 31.

United took the lead on 24 minutes when Dan Noonan finished off Ashley Cantrill’s pass with a fine finish from the edge of the area.

But it took just four minutes for Carcroft to draw level when Fisher pounced to hook home the ball after keeper Craig Pears fumbled.

Carcroft started to dominate and there was no surprise when they took the lead six minutes from the break.

Corner slotted home after receiving Steve Mundy’s pass and rounding Pears.

With strong words from boss Paul Noonan ringing in their ears, Denaby emerged a more determined outfit at the start of the second half.

The renewed commitment paid off just five minutes after the break when Mick Russon drilled a shot from just inside the box and a wicked deflection sent Carcroft keeper Fawley the wrong way.

Ten minutes later Denaby re-established the lead.

Ainsley Finney drilled a shot from distance which clipped the underside of the bar on its way in.

Finney added a second on 75 minutes, finishing well with his weaker left foot.

Denaby wrapped up the game on the break, substitute Scott Aspinall collecting a quick throw in before racing more than half the length of the pitch to shoot past Fawley.

United are back in cup action this weekend as they visit Shafton Villa for a place in the County FA Junior Cup final.

Mexborough side AFC Sportsman Rovers also reached the League Cup quarters with a 2-1 win over Sun FC.

Nathan Lovell and Green netted for Rovers.

Kinsley Boys put their names in the hat after triumphing 4-3 on penalties against Sutton Rovers following a 1-1 draw.

South Elmsall United picked up a notable 1-1 draw against Premier Division leaders Rossington Main courtesy of Mark McDermott’s effort.

Swinton Station Athletic became only the second side to lose to South Kirkby colliery as they went down 2-1.

Steve Carr netted for Swinton.

Results: DDFA Challenge Cup: AFC Sportsman Rovers 2 Sun FC 1, Denaby United 5 Carcroft Village 2, Highwayman 1 Hatfield Main 7, Kinsley Boys 1 Sutton Rovers 1 (Kinsley Boys won 4-3 on penalties)

Premier Division: Brodsworth Welfare 1 Bawtry Town 0, Edlington Town 4 Bramley Sunnyside 0, South Elmsall United 1 Rissington Main 1, South Kirkby Colliery 2 Swinton Station Athletic 1

Division One: Ackworth United 10 Askern Athletic 1, Bawtry Town Reserves 4 ISG Doncaster 1, Scawthorpe & Bentley Rhinos 6 Dunscroft United 1