Sheffield FC six matches without win after crashing 3-0

Sheffield FC keeper Tom Dunn made a superb double save. Photo: Ben Webster
Sheffield FC keeper Tom Dunn made a superb double save. Photo: Ben Webster

A threadbare Sheffield FC were well beaten 3-0 at Kidsgrove Athletic.

Club never looked like getting anything from the game which left them without a league win in six.

Only a superb double save from goalkeeper Tom Dunn prevented Sheffield going behind in the opening five minutes.

Club responded with Matt Roney forcing the home keeper into a fine save Andy Kiwomya’s men were behind on 15 minutes as Anthony Malbon timed his run to perfection to beat the offside trap to slot past Dunn.

Kidsgrove doubled the lead on 26 minutes as a pass slipped through the defence to Jordan Johnson who took the ball round the exposed Dunn.

Six minutes later it was 3-0 as Jack Sherratt tucked away a rebound.

Frickley Athletic stretched their unbeaten run to four games but had to be content with a 1-1 home draw against Workington.

The Blues got the ideal start when Macauley Parkinson’s cross was headed back across goal for John Cyrus to nod in after just seven minutes.

The home side were close to doubling their lead when Brad Grayson saw his angled drive cleared off the line, while at the other end the visitors had a goal ruled out for offside.

But Workington were level just before the hour through Gareth Amison’s angled effort. Sub Zeph Thomas went mighty close to grabbing all three-points for Frickley late on but his 15-yard strike flew agonisingly just over the bar.

Matlock Town were held 2-2 at home by 10 man Sutton Coldfield Town.

Joel Purkiss gave the Gladiators a fourth minute lead but Sutton had turned it around to go in at the break leading 2-1 despite having a player sent off on the half hour mark.

Ted Cribley grabbed the equaliser just past the hour mark but Matlock had George Willis to thank for their point as the keeper pulled off a smart penalty save.

The games involving Stocksbridge Park Steels and Shaw Lane Aquaforce were postponed due to snow.

Tuesday’s fixture - Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup third round: Stocksbridge Park Steels v Houghton Main.