Rovers FT: Yeovil 1 Doncaster 0

Yeovil Town vs Doncaster Rovers  - Chris Brown beats shane duffy
Yeovil Town vs Doncaster Rovers - Chris Brown beats shane duffy

Paul Dickov may have refused to put more emphasis on improving Rovers’ poor away form but there is little doubt this was a game he would have been desperate to take three points from.

Just once this season have Rovers won on the road but the value of victory at Yeovil would have not have been missed by anyone.

There was an opportunity for Rovers to go nine points clear of the drop zone and potentially leave the Glovers adrift of safety by the same margin.

Rovers approached the game with the vigour and intent of a side going for the win on the road.

But the first chance came for the hosts who broke from a poor Rovers free kick with Miller charging forward and shooting from 30 yards only to see the ball drop harmlessly wide.

Rovers had a much more clear-cut chance on five minutes. Brown chested the ball down just inside the box for Bowery to run in and lash a shot which Stech parried superbly.

Yeovil suffered an early blow when striker Miller was forced off with a thigh strain after just ten minute with Moore replacing him.

Moore made his presence felt just moments after his arrival when he surged across the edge of the Rovers box but put his shot well wide.

Rovers were having much the better of the attacking play after an even start to the game but struggled to get the shots away to test Stech.

Brown had a free header from a Duffy corner but could not send the ball through a crowd of bodies and the Rovers striker also struggled to get a shot away from a fine Bowery knockdown on 22 minutes.

Johnstone produced a superb save on 27 minutes to keep the game goalless. Lawrence sent in a teasing free kick from the left which Webster sent on target with a diving header but the Rovers keeper got down superbly to tip the ball wide.

A piece of fortune almost gifted Rovers the opener on the half hour. A long-range shot from Wellens deflected into the path of Bowery ten yards out but he could not get the ball out from under his feet and Yeovil cleared.

Yeovil had probably the best chance of the half when Ayling dinked a cross over the Rovers back line and Miller sent a diving header on goal but could not find the power to trouble Johnstone.

The hosts really should have taken the lead on the stroke of half time when a cross from Ayling found Duffy unmarked at the back post but the defender could not turn his header on target.

A misjudgement over the flight of the ball from Duffy let Bowery in for Rovers early in the second half, he played in Coppinger whose shot was well blocked.

Yeovil missed another glorious chance to open the scoring on 54 minutes when Lawrence darted in to meet a Holmes cross unmarked but sent the most tame of headers straight at Johnstone.

There would be no missing on 59 minutes when the hosts won a penalty. Husband clumsily clattered into Holmes inside the box with referee Drysdale pointing to the spot following a signal from his assistant.

Former Rovers hero HAYTER slammed the penalty straight down the middle to put the Glovers in front.

The hosts should have doubled their lead moments later when McAllister’s cross fell to Moore in space five yards out but he put his shot straight at Johnstone.

Stech was forced to tip over when Keegan met a cross from substitute Cotterill with a back header that threatened to creep in.

Cotterill cut inside on 76 minutes and shot from the edge of the box, drawing a brave blocking header from Duffy.

Substitute Dawson powered a header onto the bar from acres of space when he met a cross from Edwards.

Rovers attempted to push forward but could not fashion anything more than half a chance, ensuring their away day blues continued.