Rovers FT: Huddersfield 0 Doncaster 0

James Coppinger in action at Huddersfield
James Coppinger in action at Huddersfield

Rovers picked up a fine point in an entertaining goalless draw at Huddersfield

Both sides were hoping to bounce back from disappointing defeats prior to the international break .

It was a somewhat stop-start, scrappy opening. Lynch gifted possession to Robinson but his audacious 40-yard attempt was off target.

Lynch registered the first attempt on target, rising at the back post to head Hamill’s free kick straight at Turnbull.

Wellens was beginning to see more of the ball for Rovers, as the game quickly started to open up. He nudged it out wide for Cotterill, whose cross was met by Brown and Smithies had to be at full strength to paw it away.

Brown had the ball in the net from another Cotterill centre, but Robinson was adjudged to have fouled Smithies in the build-up.

The away side dictated the tempo. Brown’s header from Cotterill’s corner was cleared off the line by Clayton, before Wellens fired over following an inviting Cotterill pass.

Jones glanced a Cotterill set piece wide of the far post as Doncaster continued to threaten.

Another well worked Cotterill free kick ended up seeing Robinson’s deflected effort cleared off the line by Vaughan of all people.

Rovers were unfortunate not to be ahead, but could have easily gone behindf. Clayton picked a hole in the visitors’ defence to release Vaughan but his tame effort was saved by Turnbull.

Doncaster responded immediately; Cotterill getting on the end of Coppinger’s teasing centre but he diverted his effort over the bar.

With the home fans growing increasingly frustrated, the Terriers finally enjoyed a decent spell of possession. It lead to an attempt from Vaughan, who got on the end of Paterson’s cross, but Turnbull was there to smother the ball.

Rovers continued to look a threat from set pieces. Cotterill’s curling free kick from the angle of the box forced the busy Smithies into another save.

Doncaster were well on top, but there was panic when Jones short-changed Turnbull and Vaughan almost seized upon his under-hit backpass.

At the other end Cotterill had the goal at his mercy following a teasing Husband centre, but his goal-bound volley was blocked.



Rovers...................... 0

The open feel to the game continued at the start of the second period, with Rovers carrying on where they left off at the end of the first.

Keegan volleyed high and wide from the edge of the box, before a better chance for Robinson.

The forward brought down Wellens’ cross field ball perfectly but Smithies was alert once more to snuff out the danger.

Substitute Stead tested Turnbull’s handling with a powerful drive, before Wellens made space and fizzed an effort just wide.

On the hour mark the hosts wasted the best chance of the game. Great work from Stead at the by-line saw him pull it back for Hogg but the midfielder wastefully blazed over.

The chance brought the hosts to life. Turnbull had to block an effort from Vaughan who broke clear, before Hammill guided an effort just wide.

Coppinger, who was being allowed to roam and proving to be a constant menace, then fizzed a volley across the face of goal, before Keegan’s clipped cross almost crept in at the back post. Somehow the game remained goalless.

It was down to Turnbull that it did. He made himself big to block Vaughan’s effort after the striker was sent clear by the counter-attacking Scannell.

With the game continuing to frantically to and fro, Turnbull again had to be quick off his line after another through ball to Vaughan.

The former Everton forward then missed his kick when Scannell crossed from the left, before Brown headed Coppinger’s cross wide at the other end.

As the clock ticked towards ninety, Brown got on the end of Cotterill’s searching cross but planted his header a foot wide.

Huddersfield went even closer. Lynch got on the end of Clayton’s centre, but from three yards out his effort came off the angle of post and bar and bounced to safety.

Clayton miscued one more effort wide for the hosts but an entertaining game ended goalless.