Rovers FT: Doncaster Rovers 1 Leicester City 0

Doncaster's Paul Quinn slides in on Leicester's Llyod Dyer
Doncaster's Paul Quinn slides in on Leicester's Llyod Dyer

A Casper Schmeichel own goal made it two Championship wins in eight days for Doncaster Rovers.

Rovers were looking to bounce back from a midweek defeat to Burnley and opted for an attacking XI to take the game to Nigel Pearson’s outfit who have rarely put a foot wrong this season.

A lacklustre clearance from the City area saw Rovers strike first, Keegan collecting the ball on the edge of the area but sending his effort well over with five minutes gone.

Macheda had his first chance on the 15th minute mark when he latched on to a Robinson ball, however, the Italian lost his footing as he drilled an effort goalwards and saw the ball fire aimlessly wide of Schmeichel’s left-hand post.

It’s been a week to forget for goalkeepers and the opener in this tie might be one Schmeichel does not want to remember in a hurry as Leicester found themselves 1-0 down in the 17th minute.

Rovers went ahead when a corner, won by Macheda, was swung in by Duffy with the right boot into the hands of the Leicester number one, however, SCHMEICHEL fumbled the set-piece straight into his own net to make it 1-0 to Doncaster.

Leicester made far too many individual mistakes in possession as Pearson’s men struggled to string together passes.

Rovers were keeping the ball well as Leicester struggled to make an impact, however, Knockaert managed to carve out a half chance for himself as his long range effort forced Turnbull into a save to his left.

Macheda made a promising run into the box as City had to time their tackle to perfection, and that they did. However, Robinson collected the ball in the area but saw his strike deflect wide.

Schmeichel produced a good save to deny Furman who had worked the space on the edge of the area before firing in a low drive.

After good work from Knockaert Konchesky sent a stinging shot into the arms of Turnbull.

Leiecester began to enjoy the better spells of possession towards the end of the half as Vardy saw his shot cannon off the post to safety leaving Turnbull stranded.

City had the final chance of the half as Konchesky saw a shot from trickle wide.




With Rovers dominating the first half, the hosts appeared keen to continue where they had left off as the lively Macheda rose for a header in the area but was called offside.

Knockaert looked goal hungry for the visiting Foxes, however, he opted to blast a free-kick from a difficult angle near to the byline and the effort sailed over as Pearson’s side struggled for ideas as Rovers grew in confidence.

Leicester nearly levelled in the 68th minute when Khumalo slid to defend a cross from the right and the ball bounced up from his heels towards his own goal, as Turnbull scrambled to collect much to the relief of the home side.

Pearson brought on Marcin Wasilewski and Jeff Schlupp as Leicester were beginning to be pinned back into their own half.

Coppinger was brought on for striker Macheda in the 75th minute as Dickov looked to sure up his midfield and continue to make life difficult for Leicester.

Good work from Duffy saw the winger pick out an unmarked Quinn down the right. The full-back lofted a ball into the danger area which evaded the head of Robinson but Brown brought it down before firing well over on the bounce with 78 minutes gone.

Doncaster’s defence worked well to hardly give the likes of Nugent and Vardy a sniff in the second 45 as both appeared frustrated and Rovers rallied.

Knockaert jinked away from challenges to surge into the area, however, Rovers’ backline stood resolute.

With four minutes added on, it was all hands to the pump for Rovers as Leicester could not find a way through despite the best efforts of Konchesky who lofted a couple of deliveries into the box.

A late Knockaert corner into the box was well dealt with by Keegan with a diving header as desperate whistles from the Keepmoat faithful were answered Rovers held on.