Result: Doncaster Rovers 3 Yeovil Town 0 - Eight goals in two games boost Rovers’ play-off hopes

Rovers Nathan Tyson celebrates giving Rovers the lead against Yeovil. Photo: Steve Uttley
Rovers Nathan Tyson celebrates giving Rovers the lead against Yeovil. Photo: Steve Uttley

Goals from Nathan Tyson, Dean Furman and Kyle Bennett saw Rovers go on a scoring rout for the second game running to beat struggling Yeovil at the Keepmoat.

Clearly buoyed by their 5-0 demolition of Crawley in midweek, Paul Dickov’s side exuded confidence from the start and dominated long stretches of the game.

They found the important breakthrough before the break through Tyson when Yeovil camped deep in their own half.

And strikes from Furman and Bennett finished them off in the second half when the visitors loosened the shackles somewhat.

Rovers were in full control for the majority of the first half against a Yeovil side happy to sit on the back foot and congest their own half.

It meant that for all Rovers’ possession and advanced positions, they struggled to create clear opportunities on goal.

Yeovil keeper Artur Krysiak could be thanked for at least two superb saves to keep the scores down however, with Paul Keegan and Bennett both close to getting on the scoresheet.


Football scores

Rovers’ first actual effort on goal came on 19 minutes. The ball came out to Keegan in space, 25 yards out, and he drilled a shot which seemed destined for the top corner until Kyrsiak tipped it wide.

And it was from the subsequent corner that Rovers went ahead through Tyson who pounced to fire in from close range after Yeovil keeper Artur Krysiak fumbled a low drive from Harry Forrester.

Rovers dropped off the pace in the immediate aftermath of the goal but were soon terrorising the visitors again from wide areas.

Krysiak had to be alert again on 31 minutes. Bennett curled a free kick from the edge of the box which looped up off the wall, wrong-footing the Yeovil keeper but he recovered to hook the ball off the line.

Yeovil had their first real effort on goal on 33 minutes. Hayter picked out Gozie Ugwu who fired on goal but straight at Stephen Bywater.

The visitors went close to grabbing an equaliser on the stroke of half time.

Ugwu saw a shot deflect out for a corner from which the ball fell to James Berrett outside the box. His strike deflected off Furman but straight into the grasp of a grateful Bywater.

Play had evened out considerably following a one-sided first half.

But Furman was on hand to ease the nerves just before the hour mark.

Substitute Curtis Main - on for the injured Forrester - charged down the right flank and cut in a low pass to Furman who fired underneath Artur Krysiak from eight yards out.

Rovers themselves eased off somewhat after their second but grabbed a third with a brilliant breakaway 13 minutes from time.

Tyson carried the ball from just outside his own box to the edge of Yeovil’s before drilling a low cross which Bennett touched past a standed Artur Krysiak from 15 yards.

The heavy scoreline was nothing more than Rovers deserved from a game they dominated against an opposition struggling at the wrong end of League One.

Sam Foley almost grabbed a fortuitous consolation strike with four minutes to go, his shot looping up off Jamie McCombe’s outstretched leg and dropping just over the bar.

Foley also headed over the bar from a free kick moments later.

But Rovers were not be denied a second big win in the space of a week as their play-off push was given another major boost.

Rovers: Bywater, Wabara, Butler, McCombe, Stevens, Keegan, Bennett, Wellens (Razak 74), Furman, Forrester (Main 49), Tyson (Robinson 81).

Subs not used: Marosi, Wakefield, Evina, Whitehouse.

Yeovil: Krysiak, Shephard, Athurworrey, Moore, Nugent (A Smith 59), N Smith, Berrett, Foley, Leitch-Smith (Hoskins 37), Hayter, Ugwu.

Subs: Bell, Twumasi, Loza, Stewart, Morgan.

Referee: Mark Heywood (Cheshire)

Cards: Yellow: Foley 59, Moore 74 (Yeovil)

Att: 5,950