Result: Doncaster Rovers 2 Coventry City 0

Rovers players celebrate with goalscorer Andy Butler. Picture: Steve Uttley
Rovers players celebrate with goalscorer Andy Butler. Picture: Steve Uttley

Rovers finally saw their search for a home triumph come to an end after a 2-0 win over Coventry who finished with nine men.

First half goals from Andy Butler and Harry Forrester were enough to secure Rovers only their second home win of the season and ease the pressure on Paul Dickov from a certain section of supporters.

The Sky Blues had Adam Barton and James Maddison sent off in the space of three second half minutes to end a Boxing Day to forget for the struggling visitors.

It was an excellent, high-tempo performance from Rovers who answered their Keepmoat critics in fine style.

And they got off to the perfect start when Butler rose at the back post to head home Forrester’s fine cross.

Defensively, Rovers had the bit between their teeth as they did away at Swindon last weekend.

And they stood up to Coventry pressure before grabbing the all-important second on 22 minutes.

Forrester picked up the ball on the left and darted to the edge of the box before curling in a fine effort off the far post.

Coventry pressured well after the break but Rovers rarely looked troubled and threatened themselves in the counterattack.

And the visitors’ challenge was effectively ended with 15 minutes to go when Barton and Maddison both received second yellow cards in a matter of minutes.

It could have been three for Rovers in the late stages with Paul Keegan and Curtis Main both going close.

But they had done enough to deliver a late Christmas present to the long-suffering Keepmoat regulars.

Rovers: Johnstone, Wabara, McCullough, Butler, Stevens, Keegan, Coppinger, Furman, Wellens (De Val 78), Forrester (Whitehouse 86), Robinson (Main 80). Subs: Marosi, McCombe, Wakefield, McKay.

Coventry: Allsop, Pennington, Webster, Martin, Haynes, Barton, Finch (Jackson 64), Fleck, O’Brien (Nouble 72), Maddison, Madine. Subs: Burge, Willis, Thomas, Swanson, Tudgay.

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh (Lancashire)

Attendance: 6,916