Match report: Doncaster Rovers 3 Leyton Orient 1

Doncaster Rovers v Leyton Orient
Doncaster Rovers v Leyton Orient

Brilliant Rovers shrugged off falling a goal down for a fully deserved win over Leyton Orient.

A pair of penalties from Liam Mandeville - reaching five goals in as many games - put Rovers out of sight after Jordan Houghton cancelled out Callum Kennedy's stunning free kick for Orient.

Rovers dominated from the start, bossing the game as they picked up where they left off against Hartlepool United the previous weekend.

Boss Darren Ferguson understandably kept faith with the same starting XI that performed so well against Hartlepool.

Marko Marosi recovered from the issue of blurred vision which forced him off against Hartlepool to take his place between the sticks.

Rovers started superbly, keeping possession with real patience and composure, working the ball from back to front and forcing Orient onto the back foot.

Mathieu Baudry headed over the bar from a James Coppinger corner in the first real opportunity of the game.

Andy Butler needed to be alert to get in ahead of Ollie Palmer to prevent him from turning Michael Collins' header past Marosi.

Rovers were unfortunate to not go ahead around the quarter hour mark.

First, Andy Butler headed a ball back across the face of goal and John Marquis charged in, only to see Orient keeper Alex Cisak claw his header over the bar.

From the subsequent corner, Rovers twice hit the bar. Tommy Rowe struck the woodwork with a header before Butler turned the roundbound onto the bar also.

The chaos had barely subsided when Orient took the lead with a quite stunning goal.

From all of 35 yards, Kennedy powered a sublime free kick into the top corner, giving Marosi no chance.

It was harsh on Rovers but they recovered quickly to push for a goal of their own.

Jordan Houghton drilled a shot from 25 yards which deflected just wide.

And they hit the bar for a third time when Liam Mandeville curled a fine effort from just inside the area which clattered back off the woodwork.

Orient defender Tom Parkes produced a brilliant diving block to keep out Coppinger's powerful drive.

Rovers continued to come forward in wave after wave of attacks, building patiently as Orient settled into defensive mode with plenty of bodies back.

Just when it seemed as though Rovers would go in undeservedly behind, they grabed an equaliser on the stroke of 45 minutes.

A corner was cleared out only as far as Houghton who slammed in first time from just outside the box.

Rovers started the second house in the same manner they finished the first.

Within seconds, Mandeville slammed a shot into the side-netting while moments later Coppinger charged into the area and smacked a shot just wide of the far post.

The goal to put Rovers ahead came 14 minutes into the half. Matty Blair darted into the area and was felled by Josh Koroma, making his first contribution after coming off the bench.

Mandeville stepped up and slammed the penalty into the bottom left corner, sending Cisak the wrong way.

Seven minutes later a cushion had been established, again from the penalty spot. Rowe twisted and turned in the box until he was clipped by Parkes. Mandeville again did the honours and placed his kick into the opposite corner.

Orient pushed in the later stages and it took a brilliant save on his line from Marko Marosi to claw away a header from Paul McCallum.

Koroma powerd over the bar from 15 yards but there as no way back for Orient.

Mandeville was desperate for his hat trick and danced into the area before striking straight at Cisak.

Rovers: Marosi, Alcock, Baudry, Butler, Mason, Houghton, Blair, Rowe, Coppinger (Beestin 90), Mandeville (Longbottom 90), Marquis. Subs not used: Jones, Wright, Evina, Keegan, Calder.

Orient: Cisak, Judd, Pollock, Parkes, Kennedy, Collins, Atangana, Weir, Semedo (Koroma 57), Simpson, Palmer (McCallum 65). Subs not used: Sargeant, Dunne, Bowery, Dalby, Janse.

Referee: Robert Jones (Merseyside)

Attendance: 5,135 (366 away)