Match report: Blackpool 0 Doncaster Rovers 2

Doncaster Rovers
Doncaster Rovers

Rovers saw off sorry Blackpool to secure three straight wins for the first time since February.

Darren Ferguson's side thoroughly outplayed their struggling hosts during the first half and lasted through a tougher test after the break for a third consecutive clean sheet in all competitions.

Andy Williams grabbed his fourth goal in three games with a stunning curled finish after just five minutes with Aaron Taylor-Sinclair stabbing home before the break to cap a first half of true Rovers dominance.

Williams took possession on the right corner of the box, cut back onto his left foot and curled a fantastic effort in at the far post.

Conditions were difficult with rain constantly falling. But Rovers settled much the better and began to dominate possession and territory.

Rovers moved the ball with pace and purpose and consistently hit the front early, determined to get Nathan Tyson and Williams on the ball.

And they began to knock on the door for a second. Nathan Tyson chested down a cross and volleyed narrowly over in the best of the early chances.

But Blackpool really should have been level on 18 minute. Jarrett Rivers weaved into space at the byline and flashed in a cross with Mark Cullen getting away from Mitchell Lund to flick a header just wide.

Conor Grant was inches away from doubling Rovers' advantage when he curled a low effort from the edge of the box while Williams struck a shot on the turn narrowly over.

Jack Redshaw caught Andy Butler napping and curled a shot from just inside the box only to see it fly narrowly wide.

Andy Butler tested the reflexes of keeper Dean Lyness with a drilled strike from a corner.

But Rovers finally made their dominance count by doubling the lead five minutes from the break.

Andy Butler flicked on a corner from the right and Taylor-Sinclair stabbed home from a goalline scramble.

Rovers' intensity levels dropped considerably after the break and they began to ponder in possession.

The hosts had much greater success in the Rovers half without truly testing Thorsten Stuckmann.

Chances were few and far between for both sides with Blackpool limited to a couple of headers flashed beyond the posts.

The best chance saw Grant carry the ball through several challenges before firing low from just inside the box with Lyness again getting down well to save.

And the Blackpool keeper had to go full stretch to keep an otherwise tame shot from Williams out.

The game petered out though Craig Alcock - signed on loan from Sheffield United in midweek - was handed his Rovers debut off the bench.

Blackpool: Lyness, Dunne, Aldred, Robertson, Ferguson, Rivers (Thomas 61), Norris, Potts, McAlister, Cullen, Redshaw (Paterson 74). Subs not used: Boney, Herron, Osayi-Samuel, Cubero, Aimson.

Rovers: Stuckmann, Lund (Stewart 90), Butler, Taylor-Sinclair, Mattioni (Alcock 73), Coppinger, Middleton, Grant, Evina, Williams, Tyson (Anderson 74). Subs not used: Marosi, Wellens, Forrester, N'Guessan.

Referee: David Coote (Nottinghamshire)