Kings players put in lots of effort

Lincolnshire Sunday Cup

Kings Arms 1

Seven Seas 3

KINGS played host to the holders of the cup in this hard fought round three game and despite going into the game as underdogs, Kings showed they were not there just to make up the numbers.

With a squad of 15 players the Isle side showed just how far they have come in recent seasons.

The first ten minutes of the game saw both teams sizing each other up and trying to find their feet but it was Kings who created the first chance when strikers Bingham and Rea-Ritchie linked up with Lightburn but the chance went over the bar.

The Kings midfield trio of Taylor, Hughes and the recalled Smedley were starting to take control of their well organised opposite numbers and as the tackles flew and tempers started to boil it was this that caused the Kings to have a glorious chance to take the lead as Hughes’ free kick into the box caused havoc and an away defender decided to take his anger out on the busy Lightburn, leaving the referee no option but to award a penalty.

After a lengthy wait Kings top scorer Greg Carroll kept his nerve to send the keeper the wrong way and put the Isle side one up.

It was now the visitors time to take hold of the game but resolute defending from Simmons, Carroll, Johnson and McBoggle meant their chances were limited. Kings were still creating chances of their own and but for some very harsh offside decisions would have probably increased their lead.

Seven Seas grabbed the equaliser just before half time when Carroll gave away a free kick out wide and the resulting set piece eluded all the Kings players which allowed a Seas attacker to tap in at the far post.

The second half started with both teams knowing the next goal would be crucial and Kings were grateful to Stanley in goal who was coming and punching every dangerous set piece the Seas team aimed in the Kings penalty box. The Kings defence were all having an excellent game and running themselves into the ground.

Kings made two changes bringing on Spink and Green for Rea-Ritchie and Mcboggle whom both put in an excellent shift for their team’s cause with Green slotting in at left back and Spink taking up his usual striking role.

Typically having just made the change a hefty tackle on Bingham left the striker injured but credit to him after he showed great determination and soldiered on and showed the courage the Kings management have been trying to install into the squad.

Seven Seas grabbed an undeserved and somewhat fortuitous second after a corner was swung in which struck a striker on the back and ended up rolling over the line.

Kings responded well and thought they had grabbed an equaliser when Spink picked the ball up on the left, cut inside and unleashed a great long range effort that looked destined for the top corner but somehow swerved just wide of the post. This was Spink’s final part in the game as tempers boiled and he was shown a red card.

Kings were now piling on the pressure and it was the energetic Lightburn’s chance to try his luck but just dragged his shot wide of the post. With five minutes to go Carroll took it upon himself to go upfront and try a more direct route to grab an equaliser. This nearly paid off when he skilfully beat his marker and fired a shot at goal which the visiting keeper just got a hand to. With the ball rebounding off the bar and back to a Sea’s player who punted the ball up field and with Kings having pushed players on it left them outnumbered at the back and the visitors wrapped up the match with the last kick of the game.

Kings can take a lot of credit for progressing through to round three of this competition which sees teams drag in players from a higher standard in order to grab the glory.

Every one of the Kings players put a lot of effort into this game and credit to all of them who were undoubtedly the better team but luck just eluded them in front of goal.

Kings would also like to thank the supporters who turned out and gave opponents a torrid time and support their local team well.

Greg Carroll was voted man of the match and Steve Johnson was given the supporters vote. Daz at Low Street stores Haxey was also thanked for kindly supplying the half time refreshments.

Kings are back in cup action next week when they take on Rose and Crown away.