FULL TIME: Hull City 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

editorial image

ROVERS rode their luck but earned a deserved point at the KC Stadium.

The hosts’ Robert Koren missed a raft of glorious chances to give his promotion-chasing side the lead but Doncaster held on well for a share of the spoils.

Habib Bamogo was handed his Rovers debut in place of the departed Billy Sharp while Martin Woods, John Oster and Adam Lockwood also came into the side.

Hull probed well in the early stages and were gifted a good opportunity when Adam Lockwood failed to usher the ball out for a goal kick allowing Matty Fryatt to keep the ball in and set up Corry Evans for a rasping drive which Button parried well.

The Tigers took any opportunity available to shoot from distance with Rovers affording the hosts a lot of room outside the area.

Cameron Stewart and Koren were particularly eager to test their range and both went close on a couple of occasions.

Rovers struggled to clear their lines for a good ten minutes midway through the half, a period when Hull really should have taken the lead.

Aaron McLean’s backheel from the byline was collected by Liam Rosenior who squared to Fryatt in acres of space 12 yards out only for the former Leicester man to pull his shot wide of the far post.

When Rovers finally broke out of their own half they produced their first real effort on goal with Martin Wood receiving the ball on the edge of the box and putting an effort on the bounce just wide of the post.

The best chance of the first half came just after the half hour when McLean rose at the back post to head down Koren’s corner but put it into the side netting.

Play was much more even after the break as Rovers attacked with much more purpose, breaking well through Oster in a much more advanced role.

He sparked one such break by playing though El Hadji Diouf whose final ball to James O’Connor was poor.

Koren continued his habit of shooting on sight and produced a fine save from Button on 67 minutes, the on –loan Tottenham keeper tipping his shot from 20 yards wide of the post.

The midfielder continued to waste gilt-edged chances and really should have put his side ahead.

On 79 minutes the ball came to him in acres of space inside the left side of the box but he again elected to shoot first time, sending the ball straight at Button.

Straight away the action moved to the other end and Diouf produced an excellent attempted lob, forcing Vito Mannone to tip over the bar.

Oster made a fantastic block on the line as Fryatt attempted an overhead kick from a corner but the best chance of the latter stages would again fall to Koren.

Again with all the space he could wish for, Koren rushed a shot and pulled his effort wide of the post.

Saunders sent on Shelton Martis to replace Diouf, seemingly happy with a point and a deserved on at that.

Rovers: David Button, James O'Connor, Sam Hird, Adam Lockwood, Tommy Spurr, Brian Stock, Martin Woods (Simon Gillett, 75), John Oster, El Hadji Diouf, James Hayter, Habib Bamogo (Kyle Bennett, 69).

Subs: Shelton Martis, Simon Gillett, Kyle Bennett, Damien Plessis, Mamadou Bagayogo.

Hull: Vito Mannone, Liam Rosenior, Andy Dawson, Paul McKenna, James Chester, Jack Hobbs, Cameron Stewart (Josh King, 68), Corry Evans (Seyi Olofinjana, 68), Aaron McLean, Robert Koren, Matty Fryatt.

Subs: Trevor Carson, Joe Dudgeon, Josh King, Seyi Olofinjana, Liam Cooper.