Fulham 2-1 Doncaster Rovers

Fulham v Doncaster Capital One Cup - James Coppinger at corner
Fulham v Doncaster Capital One Cup - James Coppinger at corner

Doncaster Rovers were left to rue a late penalty miss tonight as they went down fighting at Championship side Fulham in the Capital One Cup.

Theo Robinson shot weakly from the spot and saw his effort saved after the South Yorkshire side had battled back into contention.

Fulham v Doncaster Capital One Cup - Kyle Bennett

Fulham v Doncaster Capital One Cup - Kyle Bennett

It was a sad end to a second half come-back from Doncaster, who side bore two changes to the one that beat Chesterfield.

Out went Jamie McCombe and Marc De Val with Liam Wakefield and Paul Keegan coming in at Craven Cottage.

Dickov kept faith with the 4-2-3-1 system for a second consecutive game.

Harry Forrester returned from a two-match suspension to take his place on the bench.

There was also two changes from their London hosts after their defeat to Blackburn on Saturday.

Nikolay Bodurov and Emerson Hyndman came in for Shaun Hutchinson and Scott Parker.

The game was only a minute old when Ross McCormack tested Jed Steer.

At the other end Marcus Bettinelli was in a pickle.

He raced out to intercept a pass, but couldn’t get there and the ball hit his arm, earning him yellow card.

But Fulham composed themselves and took the lead on 16 minutes, Ross McCormack knocked a ball down for onrushing Bryan Ruiz - and the Costa Rican striker smashed it into the top corner.

It was a jolt for Rovers, but it didn’t put off the travelling fans whop were making a din at the Putney End.

The game took another turn when a deep cross from Cedric Evina found Dean Furman at the far post but his header was well wide.

Konstantinos Stafylidis threatened for Fulham before they scored a second.

Dan Burn’s easy header from six yards found the bottom right corner, following a short corner. It was his first game as captain.

After the brak, Dickov introduced fresh blood, with Harry Forrester replacing Kyle Bennett and Robinson on for Richard Wellens.

Rovers went on the offensive and Nathan Tyson went close.

Then Furman misses a decent chance.

But then Rovers scored a belter.

James Coppinger cut in from the left and rifled a shot across goal and into the roof of the net.

Forrester looked the most likely to find the equaliser.

And our reporter Liam Hoden tweeted from the press box: “Rovers’ tails are up here!”

But their best chance went begging.

On 78 minutes Burn hand balled in the penalty area and up stepped penalty taker Robinson - but the 25-year-old striker failed to plant it out of Bettinelli’s reach - the goalie comfortably palmed it wide.

There was concern for Tyson, when he went down injured and remained on his back for a spell while medical staff rushed on to help him.

He had collided with Bettinelli and had to leave the playing area.

Fulham: Bettinelli, Hoogland, Bodurov, Burn, Amorebieta, Christensen, Hyndman, Stafylidis, Ruiz, Rodallega, McCormack.

Subs: Kiraly, Parker, Roberts, Woodrow, Williams, David, Kavanagh.

Rovers: Steer, Wakefield, Wabara, McCullough, Evina, Keegan, Wellens, Coppinger, Furman, Bennett, Tyson.

Subs: Marosi, McCombe, Askins, Ferguson, De Val, Forrester, Robinson.

Referee: Kevin Friend.

Attendance: 8,070