Four goal Kings ease past Vine

Kings Arms...............4

Vine Athletic.............1

ON THE back of last week’s excellent victory in the Lincs Cup Kings went into this tricky first round cup tie of the Gainsborough Trinity Trophy full of confidence.

Again missing regular players through other commitments, Kings were grateful that their reserve team had a week off enabling them to call up Daz Dawes, Stew Bloomfield, Aaron Moody and Eddie Trewick to fill the vacant positions.

Kings got off to a great start, and took an early lead when Dave Spink beat his marker out on the left, cut inside and shot past the keeper from a tight angle to put the Isle side one up.

Kings then seemed to sit back enabling Vine to take control of the game, the midfield trio of Hughes, Fowler and Smedley were putting in some great tackles, Smedley in particular had his opposite numbers spending more time lying on the floor than joining in the game. It has to be said though when Vine did get past them, the back four of Simmons, Carroll, Bloomfield and McBoggle were also showing their counterparts just how strong Kings can be.

Vine’s pressure did eventually pay off when a long free kick was headed over the stranded Stanley into the Kings goal. This spurred the Kings on again, who then replied by putting the pressure back on Vine.

Just before half time Kings got the breakthrough they needed when the excellent Spink again got on the wrong side of his defender, and cleverly placing his body in front of the on rushing defender went down in the area, leaving the referee no choice but to point to the spot. Kings joint top scorer Greg Carroll coolly sent ex Kings keeper Sam Smith the wrong way giving Kings the lead at the half time interval.

The second half started with Kings going out in a much more positive manner after Kings joint managers Goodliffe and Canning gave the message to play higher up the pitch and take some pressure off the defenders. The first twenty minutes of this half was a nervous affair, both teams knowing the next goal would be crucial. Kings withdrew McBoggle who was one kick away from a red card, bringing on Dawes who has shown himself quite capable of making the step up a league. The goal eventually arrived and it was the Kings who sealed the game when Dan Taylor broke free down the right hand side delivering a dangerous ball into the box, just as it looked like Smedley was going to put the ball in the next field it was that man Spink who gave him the call to leave it and smash the ball past the keeper to almost secure Kings place in the next round and get his second of the day.

This goal enabled Kings to bring on young Aaron Moody and Ed Trewick for Fowler and Spink respectively, Moody showed why he is on the brink of a first team regular spot with some determined tackles and some calm play on the ball.

With five minutes to go Kings well and truly sealed the game and in some style too! Stu Ritchie collected the ball on the right and with the on rushing centre half steaming in at him, Ritchie coolly knocked the ball through his legs, much to the annoyance of the defender but to the joy of the Kings supporters, the second defender was next to try and stop him with a determined tackle but with a quick drop of the shoulder Ritchie skipped past him too, bearing down on the keeper Ritchie decided it was time to end the torment of the away team laying the ball off for Taylor who knocked the ball over the line for number four.

There was still time for Ritchie to beat the offside trap and get the goal his performance deserved but the keeper stood up well and denied him of this.

Kings have drawn Rose and Crown in the next round, a tie they should be confident of winning, Kings have also progressed in the Lincs Cup and have been drawn at home to last year’s winners Seven Seas of Grimsby. This tie will be played Sunday November 6 with a 10.30am kick off at Haxey Park and promises to be an entertaining tie. Kings would welcome the support of as many people as possible for this cup game which promises to be a thrilling tie, so come and support your local team.

Stu Ritchie was man of the match.