Rovers had two six-figure bids turned down for a player last week, boss Paul Dickov has revealed.
Dickov refused to identify the target in question, only admitting it was a ‘forward-thinking’ player.
However the Star understands the player is currently plying his trade in League One.
The Rovers boss opted to not continue his pursuit for the player after feeling he was being pushed to paying over the odds.
“We had two bids turned down for a player last week, which we decided not to go any further with,” Dickov said.
“I have to thank the board because it was a bid of six figures.
“It was a player we felt would improve us.
“What I won’t do when the board is willing to do that is go and pay over the odds for someone.
“That’s what we felt it was so we’ve moved on since then.
“It was a forward-thinking player and a player we’ve watched a lot.
“We’ve moved on but it shows the ambition that myself and the board have.”
Rovers were linked with a move for Dutch striker Kevin van Veen who is today expected to complete a move to Scunthorpe.
But Dickov insisted Rovers have never been involved in an active pursuit for the striker.
He said: “He’s a striker an agent put to me a long time ago. That’s it.”
International clearance for midfielder Abdul Razak has yet to arrive but Dickov remains hopeful that it could come before Saturday’s trip to Chesterfield.