Doncaster Rovers: Bruised Dean back in town

Battered and bruised: Dean Furman after the match against the Central African Republic.
Battered and bruised: Dean Furman after the match against the Central African Republic.

A BATTERED and bruised Dean Furman will report back for Rovers training today following a painful international appearance for South Africa.

Furman was forced off just before the break in South Africa’s 2-0 World Cup qualifier win over the Central African Republic.

An aerial clash in the box left the 24-year-old in a heap on the ground and he was taken to hospital with gashes above his eyes and on his nose.

A scan revealed no broken bones nor complications and Furman was allowed to rejoin the Bafana Bafana squad later that night.

The on-loan Oldham midfielder returned to the UK on Sunday night but had two pre-agreed rest days.

Rovers boss Brian Flynn will hope the midfielder’s facial injuries are nothing more than superficial, with two key games in four days this weekend.

Furman has made just one appearance so far for Rovers, coming off the bench in the draw with Portsmouth.

But it is expected he would be pushing for a starting berth in at least one of the upcoming clashes with Coventry City and Swindon Town this weekend.

Fellow midfield loanee Cameron Howieson is unlikely to make the Rovers squad for either game after the completion of his international duty.

Howieson returns from New Zealand Under-20 duty on Sunday.

He started the Junior All Whites’ wins over Vanuatu and Papua New Guinea in a U-20 World Cup qualifying tournament in Fiji.

Referee Mark Halsey will take charge of Rovers’ clash with Coventry on Good Friday after being dropped from Premier League duty this weekend.

Halsey’s League One assignment has been seen by some as punishment for failing to see the horror tackle of Wigan’s Callum McManaman on Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara.

Rovers have yet to have the venue for Friday’s game confirmed with Coventry’s future still uncertain.

The Sky Blues had claimed at the weekend they were looking at an alternative venue after withdrawing from the stadium following a long-running dispute with the Ricoh Arena owners.

But the club now say they remain hopeful of playing their remaining three home matches at the Ricoh Arena.

Coventry currently have no legal right to use the stadium after putting one of its companies into administration last week, a move which effectively ended the lease agreement.

But the Ricoh Arena owners say they have no intention of forcing the club out for the rest of the season.

And last night it appeared likely an agreement would be agreed.