A Doncaster couple have described the terrifying moment they heard shots during the Tunisian beach massacre in which 38 people were killed.
Julie and Paul Perkins, of Tickhill, were staying in the Royal Kenz hotel near the scene of the terrorist attack in Sousse – and had been sunbathing on the beach involved just 24 hours earlier.
Julie, of Sunderland Farm Close said: “We heard shots being fired and when my husband looked out of the balcony he saw everyone running.
The 53-year-old said: “He shouted to a man from the balcony to ask what was happening and he said someone’s shooting on the beach.
“Everyone was screaming and upset and it was pretty much panic stations.
“One gentleman who had been sitting in the bar on the beach said to us it was like a scene from Jaws, with everyone just running from the beach climbing over fences and trying to get away.
“When my husband first saw people running and shouting he thought it was tsunami or something.”
The couple, who had travelled to Tunisia to celebrate their 36th wedding anniversary, returned home on Sunday as planned after waiting for news of an available flight.
The pair had been on the same beach the day before Friday’s shooting on Friday but opted to sunbathe near the hotel pool on the day of the attack, as they were due to go on a trip to a wildlife park.
Julie said: “We would have been on the beach ourselves, had we not booked the excursion.
“I must say the staff at the hotel were very good and I did feel safe in the hotel.”
The couple, who were able to let family members know they were safe before news of the attack broke, have been inundated with calls from colleagues and friends checking on their safety since returning.
Julie said: “It’s only now we are back and I keep looking at the news that it’s really sinking in and I keep thinking about all the families who have lost loved ones.
“When we watch the news it doesn’t seem real.”
Meanwhile, Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield confirmed three emergency flights from Tunisia have brought 442 passengers back to the airport so far.
Another Doncaster couple originally missing in Tunisia were confirmed to be safe on Saturday evening.
Carol Mulhall had appealed for information about her mother Margaret Lamb, and step-father Dougie.
She said: “I have never felt so thankful for anything in my life.”