Rugby Union: Wheatley Hills, Doncaster Phoenix, Thornensians all celebrate wins

Andy Ellis leads from the front to power over for a Doncaster Phoenix try. Photo: FSP Images
Andy Ellis leads from the front to power over for a Doncaster Phoenix try. Photo: FSP Images

Wheatley Hills won 32-27 at Bradford and Bingley in North One East on Saturday with James Montgomery scoring two tries.

Anthony O’Donnell opened the scoring for Wheatley, driving over after just two minutes, before Bradford equalised through Tom Gough.

Montgomery then scored his first try, his electric pace seeing him carry the ball 50 yards before crashing over. Owen Gillvray converted.

Jordan Ajimati extended Wheatley’s lead shortly after with their third try of the game and although Bradford struck back once again, Wheatley ended the half with a try from Dan Undy.

Montgomery covered half of the pitch to score his second try and although Bradford offered a spirited fight back, they ran out of time.

Doncaster Phoenix eased further clear at the head of Yorkshire One when they ran in six tries on their way to a 36-3 victory over Heath at Castle Park.

After a hesitant start, Phoenix took the lead on 24 minutes with a try from left winger Josh Fowler.

Heath pulled back a penalty, but that proved to be their only score as full-back Craig Deakin raced over for a second home try almost on half time.

Five minutes into the second half centre Andy Ellis touched down under the posts to give Deakin a simple task with the conversion, but the kick was missed when Fowler crashed over for his second try in the corner to clinch a four-try bonus.

Deakin was back on target when second row Nick Byrne crossed, and Phoenix sealed their win when prop Joe Lowcock got a sixth try and fly-half Mark Steadman added the conversion points.

The winning bonus gave Phoenix a seven-point league lead over Malton and Norton.

Wath on Dearne moved up one place to eighth in Yorkshire One despite being held to a 15-15 draw at home to North Ribblesdale.

The visitors went 8-0 ahead before Wath equalised with a penalty from stand-off Anthony Barratt and a try by No 8 Matt Burrows.

Ribblesdale went ahead again with a converted try from an interception, and with ten minutes remaining Wath added a second try from centre Steve Mason, Barratt’s conversion kick from wide out levelling the score and setting up a tense finale.

Thornensians are making a serious challenge for the Yorkshire Three leadership after scoring a 34-24 home victory over Northallerton.

The visitors opened up a 14-0 lead before Thorne hit back with a try by No 8 Ryan Pilley.

And they dominated the second half when winger Luke Marsden ran in a hat trick of tries and centre Oli Cox and full-back Zak Holgate also scored. Cox converted one of Marsden’s tries, and his own touchdown was converted by Josh Walker.

The win saw Thorne up to second behind Old Grovians, who they visit on Saturday.