Robin Hood Airport re-opened after landing incident

The grounded plane at Doncaster Airport last night
The grounded plane at Doncaster Airport last night

Robin Hood Airport has re-opened after an accident on the runway led to its closure for 20 hours.

The airport, at Finningley, was closed after a flight from Belfast suffered problems with its undercarrige when landing yesterday evening, with one passenger taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

But it was back up and running this afternoon after the completion of an investigation by UK Air Accident Investigation Branch, which allowed the BAe Jetstream aircraft to be moved away from the runway.

The first departure today at the re-opened airport was the Wizzair flight to Bucharest at 3.30pm.

Last night’s incident involved a LinksAir aircraft which was returning from Belfast City Airport at 7.30pm when there was a problem with the wheels used for landing.

There was one passenger on board who was taken to hospital for checks.

Passengers who were due to fly from Doncaster Sheffield Airport this morning were being checked in as normal, but their flights were operating from other airports. Paasengers were advised to speak to their airlines to find out what was happening with their flights

The aircraft remained for several hours for next to the runway and could be moved until investigators arrived on site, leading to the closure being necessary.

LinksAir confirmed the aircraft had suffered an undercarriage problem on landing.

A spokesman said: “The two crew members and one passenger on board all disembarked the aircraft safely. The passenger was later taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

“The aircraft landed safely resulting in the aircraft parking beside the runway on a grass area where the passenger and crew disembarked without injury.

He said all other BAe Jetstream aircraft in the airlines fleet were checked as a precaution ahead of any other flights during the weekend.

Firecrews were put on standby as an emergency response.

“We apologise in the interim for the disruption caused to passengers due to fly in and out of the airport last night and this morning.”

Steve Gill, managing director of Doncaster Sheffield Airport also apologised for the diruption.

* Related article: BREAKING: Robin Hood Airport closed-passenger in hospital after plane drama