Report: Doncaster Rovers 1 Oldham Athletic 1

Andy Butler heads in for Rovers.
Andy Butler heads in for Rovers.

Another controversial goal prevented Rob Jones earning his first win in caretaker charge of Doncaster Rovers.

Andy Butler had headed Rovers in front midway through the first half after a timid opening to the game.

But Jonathan Burn earned Oldham a share of the spoils after his 34th minute header from a corner was adjudged to have crossed the line.

Rovers offered more attacking threat after the break, which coincided with the return of Richie Wellens from the bench, but were unable to find a winner.

Jones made two changes to the side that lost at Walsall, recalling Cedric Evina at right back in place of Mitchell Lund and preferring Paul Keegan in midfield to Richard Chaplow.

An unfortunate injury to Andy Williams, which saw the striker go off with a suspected broken nose, was the only incident of note during a lifeless opening quarter.

But the game burst into life just before the half hour when Butler expertly headed in Cameron Stewart’s free kick delivery at the back post.

Doncaster’s lead lasted just eight minutes, as Burn’s header from Mark Yeates’ corner was adjudged to have crossed the line despite the best attempts of James Coppinger on the line to keep it out.

Just moments later Rovers went agonisingly close to regaining the lead when David Cornell in the Oldham goal superbly tipped Stewart’s curling free-kick onto the bar before, in the resulting aftermath, Oscar Gobern saw his looping header hit the underside of the bar and come down the wrong side of the line.

A poor game resorted to type after the re-start but Wellens’ introduction in the 67th minute - to a very mixed reaction from the Rovers fans - significantly livened up a contest drifting nowhere.

James Coppinger found space but drilled an effort from distance just wide, before Dany N’Guessan broke clear but could not keep his shot down.

Rovers looked the more likely to win it in the closing stages but N’Guessan headed Stewart’s free-kick just over from six yards out and Gary MacKenzie saw a close range effort scrambled off the line in stoppage time.

Rovers: Stuckmann, Evina, MacKenzie, Butler, Taylor-Sinclair, Coppinger, Keegan, Gobern (Wellens 67), Stewart, Main, Williams (N’Guessan 7). Subs not used: Marosi, Chaplow, Mandeville, P McKay, Middleton.

Oldham: Cornell, Dieng, Wilson, Burn (Wilson 70), Brown, Croft, Jones, Winchester, Yeates (Green 82), Philliskirk, Poleon (Stankevicius 64).

Subs not used: Coleman, O’Connell, Eckersley, Bove.

Attendance: 5,647