The family of an elderly woman seriously injured in a fire have issued a heartfelt plea to find a friend of the victim.
Hazel Dickenson, aged 76, is in a coma at Doncaster Royal Infirmary and is on a respirator after a blaze ripped through her Bessacarr flat earlier this month.
She suffered severe smoke inhalation after a tumble dryer in her flat caught fire and had to be pulled from the premises by fire crews who smashed windows to gain entry into the flat in Rhodesia Court, Bessacarr.
Now Mrs Dickenson’s family are trying to track down a friend of the former secretary, who was personal assistant to the managing director of Rossington Colliery for a large part of her career.
Her sister Margaret Marshall said: “Hazel is in a terrible way, she is very, very poorly. The fire was very bad and lots of her possessions were lost so we haven’t got any way of contacting a lot of her friends.
“There is one friend we would like to contact because we are sure she doesn’t know and we want her to get the message. I think she would be very upset at not knowing how Hazel is.”
Mrs Marshall, who lives in Wakefield, says she only has vague details of the friend – a woman called Kate, who lives with her husband and family in the Isle of Axholme village of Westwoodside and may work in a local florist in the area.
She added: “My sister was in her flat on her own. Although she inhaled a lot of thick black smoke, she managed to call 999 before passing out. The fire brigade did a marvellous job getting her out through the windows.”
“She is not getting worse, so we are clinging to that. I know Kate would want to know the news – hopefully it will get through.”