Doncaster's historic Elmfield House is set to lose its status as the town's Register Office with the opening of a new venue in Priory Place.
The Grade II listed building in Elmfield Park has been the backdrop to thousands of wedding photographs down the decades and has also been the place for registering the town's births and deaths.
But on May 24, a former council building in the middle of the town centre will take over the role - with Elmfield House consigned to history.
The elegant house was built on 28 acres in 1803 on land known as Carr Fields by Colonel John Childers of Cantley for his widowed mother.
The house passed through the hands of a number of owners before being purchased by the corporation in 1920 for £30,000.
The surrounding Elmfield Park opened to the public for the first time on March 12, 1923.
In 1925, the park’s most distinctive feature, the dolphin fountain, was erected plus a children’s corner with paddling pool and swings as well as a bandstand and pavilion.
A bust of William Shakespeare was installed.
By the late 1930s, the park had donkey rides and Punch and Judy and a decade later tennis courts had been installed.
But then in the following years the park declined, with the paddling pool and bandstand disappearing, along with all the water features due to council budget restrictions.
Now Doncaster Council will host register office weddings at the Grade II listed Priory Place, which is next door to the Mansion House in the heart of town.