South Yorkshire and Derbyshire fires round-up

editorial image

Firefighters were called out to tackle a number of fires across the region within the last 24 hours.

Four fire crews attended a garage fire at a property in West Melton.

Rotherham firefighters were called to the scene in Melton High Street at 1.30pm on Wednesday afternoon and used hose reels to put the fire out.

A fire brigade spokesperson said the cause is under investigation and added: “Thankfully there are no reports of any injuries to anyone.”

Crews also tackled a bonfire blaze which had gotten out of control in nearby Kilnhurst.

It had been started deliberately on land off Glasshouse Lane at 9.30pm last night.

In Doncaster, arsonists set fire to a tree and grassland in Basil Avenue, Armthorpe, at 8.40pm, and also set alight a tree stump in Hall Balk Lane, Loversall, at 9pm. Edlington firefighters dealt with both incidents.

Yobs set fire to a lawnmower at a sports ground in Doncaster Road, Kirk Sandall, at 11.50pm. Firefighters spent 40 minutes putting the blaze out.

Arsonists set fire to litter at the back of a derelict pub in Britnall Street, Attercliffe, at 10.40pm. Crews spent 30 minutes at the scene.

Firefighters from Rivelin Station were called out to Walkley Bank Road, Walkley, at 3.15am this morning after arsonists set fire to a shed. They spent nearly two hours at the scene and used hose reels to extinguish the blaze.

Crews from Staveley Fire Station tackled a fire at an allotment site off Lansbury Road, Eckington, just after 10pm last night.

One shed was well alight and firefighters used two hose reels to put the blaze out.

An unattended and overheated pan on a cooker hob sparked a blaze at home in Hunloke Avenue, Chesterfield, at 9.10pm yesterday.

Firefighters entered through a first floor window and put the blaze out within 30 minutes.

Nobody was inside the property.

A fire tore through about 100 sq m of grass at the GKN sports ground in Newbold Road, Chesterfield.

The incident happened at 7.13pm last night and fire crews used beaters and water buckets to put the flames out.