Full time: Doncaster Rovers 5 Scunthorpe United 2

editorial image

Nathan Tyson scored a hat trick as Rovers ran riot on the final day of the season against local rivals Scunthorpe United.

A first half header and two penalties after the break saw player of the season Tyson end the campaign in style.

A Niall Canavan own goal and a Rob Jones header completed the rout for Rovers.

Andy Butler’s own goal and a Hakeeb Adelakun free kick saw Iron reduce the deficit but they were always out of sight.

Canavan flicked into his own net to give Rovers the lead just ten minutes in.

Kyle Bennett swung in a free kick which Canavan flicked on into his own goal to get Rovers off to a good start with just 11 minutes gone.

Scunthorpe responded well to the setback and Kevin van Veen allowed the ball to drift across his body before drilling a superb effort which drew a fine save from Marco Marosi.

Iron had a big shout for a penalty moments later when van Veen went down under a challenge from Marosi but the referee was unmoved. Gary McSheffrey did not hang about to appeal however and smashes the loose ball off the bar.

But then Tyson struck to double Rovers’ advantage.

Brilliant build-up work from Harry Forrester saw him find Kyle Bennett who crossed with Tyson heading home with 33 minutes gone.

As the first half entered stoppage time, Jones struck on what could prove to be his final game for Rovers with his contract about to expire.

Forrester put in a superb delivery from a corner which Jones met with a fine glancing header.

Scunthorpe pulled a goal back early in the second half.

Poor defending saw Rovers fail to clear and it appeared as though Andy Butler got the final touch, turning the ball into his own net.

Iron were so close to pulling another goal back when Kevin van Veen saw a strike from a Hakeeb Adelakun free kick blocked on the line.

Rovers broke from the clearance however and Kyle Bennett bundled just wide.

But then came Tyson’s first penalty.

Forrester won a penalty after racing onto Richie Wellen’s superb long pass with Marcus Williams bringing him down. Tyson stepped up to score.

And he did it again after Canavan brought down Forrester with Tyson moving onto 14 goals for the campaign.

Scunthorpe would pull a goal back in added time when Marosi misjudged Adelakun’s free kick, allowing it to bounce past him.

But it could not dampen Rovers’ spirit on the final day.

Rovers: Marosi, Lund (Wabara 74), Butler, Jones, Evina, Bennett (Main 70), Wellens, Furman, Forrester, Coppinger, Tyson (McKay 82).

Subs: Bywater, Stevens, Middleton, Whitehouse.

Scunthorpe: Daniels, Clarke, Boyce, Canavan, Williams, McAllister, Bishop (Evans 81), McSheffrey (Syers 81), Adelakun, Madden, van Veen (Wootton 82).

Subs: Anyon, Townsend, Dyche, Llera.