More than five knives a day are being seized from the streets of South Yorkshire, according to new figures.
During 2015, South Yorkshire Police officers dealt with 2,066 incidents where the offender was carrying a knife.
A total of 346 people were injured during knife attacks, including two who died from their injuries.
A further 107 were classed as seriously injured and 237 received ‘slight injuries’.
Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings said the figures show there are still a number of individuals intent on carrying weapons whilst carrying out crime.
In 252 offences a, knife was carried but not used, according to the figures obtained under a Freedom of Information Act request.
Of the 2,066 incidents last year, 413 people were charged.
In five cases police were unable to prosecute because the offenders were under the age of ten – the age of criminal responsibility.
In one case the offender could not be prosecuted because the victim was classed as ‘dead/too ill to give evidence.’
The 2,066 crimes where offenders were found to be carrying a knife included 131 assaults with injury, 149 assaults with intent to cause serious harm and four attempted murders.
Threats to kill accounted for 20 offences and there were four sexual assaults.
Figures also included 777 incidents of criminal damage to vehicles where the offender was found to be carrying a knife.
Dr Billings said: “Any crime is worrying and especially so when a weapon is used. These figures show that there are still a number of individuals intent on carrying weapons whilst carrying out crime.
“We should note though that not all of the items being carried were knives as we would normally understand that and 777 of these offences were knives being used to get in to cars.
“The public can be re-assured on two counts. First, South Yorkshire does not have a serious knife problem and second, the police do take measures to locate knives if a problem is perceived.
“For example, there have been targeted operations at some night clubs.
“This is however, kept under constant review.”
The figures come just weeks after a man was slashed with a knife in an attack near the former Bentley pit site.
The 32-year-old victim was walking from the Bentley Pit when two unknown men approached him.
The two men stole the victim’s MP3 player before a man carrying a knife assaulted him, causing injuries to his face.
Officers are continuing to appeal for witnesses to the incident that happened at about 1.45pm on Friday, March 4, to call 101.