FIREFIGHTERS will be handing out oven chip coupons in a bid to cut the number of chip pan fires in the region.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, in partnership with The Co-operative Group, will be handing out coupons alongside fire safety advice at supermarkets throughout May and June in a bid to reduce cooking related fires, which account for half of all the house fires it attends.
Last year fire crews in Doncaster were called out to 69 cooking related house fires resulting in 16 injuries, with many of these being started by chip pans.
Diane Malpass, head of community safety, said: “Cooking remains the biggest cause of accidental fires in the home, which is why we’re holding these events to speak to shoppers about basic good practice in the kitchen.
“It’s perhaps hard to believe, in this day and age, that people still use chip pans. But our data shows they remain a real danger. You wouldn’t fill a container with flammable liquid and light a flame under it, yet using a chip pan poses the same kind of risk.
“Oven chips or thermostat controlled fryers are much safer, meaning there is no need for people to continue putting their lives at risk in this way.”
Fire crews will be visiting Co-op stores in Armthorpe, Cantley, Bessacarr and Edlington to hand out vouchers and advice. For more information on kitchen fire safety or for dates when fire crews will be handing out vouchers visit www.syfire.gov.uk.