Family flee Thorne home as gas cylinder catches fire

A FAMILY had to flee their home after a gas cylinder caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the property in Bridge Street, Thorne, when a garden fire spread to the acetylene cylinder.

A man and his children were evacuated shortly after 10.30pm on Saturday and had to stay with relatives before returning home 24 hours later.

Officers cooled the cylinder to prevent any risk of an explosion and set up a 50m cordon.

No other residents had to be evacuated.