Family escapes from Doncaster house fire

editorial image

A Doncaster teen has spoken of his shock after his family had to escape a serious fire that broke out at their terraced house.

Lukas Ziga has today recalled the terrifying moment he was told a ‘huge’ blaze had started at his home, while his family were inside.

The fire started in an upstairs bedroom at the property in Apley Road, Hyde Park at around 4pm on Wednesday afternoon.

The 17-year-old believes the blaze was caused by an electric radiator.

He told The Star: “I was walking home from town when my dad told me there was a fire at our house.

“He told me that they were downstairs when it happened.

“He went upstairs to see what had happened and he went into my sister’s bedroom. There were massive flames coming from her electric radiator.

“He then ran downstairs and got my mum and my sister out of there.

“I can’t believe this has been caused by an electric radiator. My sister hasn’t had it long. You expect things like that to be safe.”

After Lukas’ dad, Jana Zigova, raised the alarm, four fire engines from Maltby, Doncaster, Aston Park and Edlington stations attended the incident.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels to extinguish the flames.

Fire crews were also forced to evacuate the homes on either side of the property that were affected by smoke, as a ‘precautionary’ measure.

Joanna Jaworowska’s family home was one of those evacuated. She has said she is worried about how she will be able to repair the damage caused to her home.

“The firefighters had to come into my house and cut a hole in the ceiling so they could get to the roof because the fire had come through to my spare room upstairs,” said Joanna, aged 33.

The mum-of-two added: “The fire has burnt two of my laptops, and I don’t have any house insurance so I don’t know what I’m going to do now. I’ve been cleaning up all day but I don’t know what I’m going to do about the damage upstairs, I’m hoping my landlord can help.”

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said a ‘definitive’ cause for the fire had not yet been established, but it was not thought to be suspicious.

He said: “An investigation into the cause of the fire will now take place.”

Lukas said his family are currently staying with another family member as they wait for the damage at their house to be repaired.