Dozing man escapes Doncaster kitchen fire

editorial image

A snoozing man had a lucky escape last night when a smoke alarm alerted him to a kitchen fire at his home in Denaby Main, Doncaster.

The man had fallen asleep after putting a chip pan on the cooker and it caught fire around 9pm.

When Edlington fire crews arrived at the ground floor maisonette in Crags Road they found the occupant and his pet dog had got out unharmed.

They did not need any medical attention and firefighters from Edlington station entered the property, wearing breathing apparatus, to remove the burning pan.

It caused heat damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the flat.