Doncaster family rehoused after fire

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

A family had to be rehoused last night after a devastating fire at their home in Rossington, Doncaster.

The couple and their three children were walking their dog when the fire broke out in their semi-detached property in Troutbeck Way around 7pm.

It is believed the dog played a part in inadvertently starting the fire before they left the house.

Neighbours heard their smoke alarms going off and called fire crews, who had to break into the house.

Doncaster and Edlington firefighters found the kitchen was on fire and smoke had caused severe damage to the rest of the property.

A fire service spokesman it was believed the cooker hob had been left switched on ‘and the family dog bounded in and knocked a pile of clothes onto the hob’.

The parents, in their 30s, has taken their three young children for the dog walk.

They returned to find the house badly damaged and the Red Cross fire victim support unit helped them find alternative accommodation.