Doncaster family left heartbroken over teen’s drug death

editorial image

A Doncaster teenager who died after taking the recreational drugs at a party may have had his drinks spiked, his family believes.

Tyler Howard had been partying with friends the night before he died, a Doncaster inquest heard.

And a coroner said he could not rule out the possibility he had taken ecstasy and cocaine without knowing and added it was clear he was not a regular drug user. His parents insist he did not take drugs.

Tyler went to a party at a friend’s house on Green Lane, Aston, Rotherham, on September 26 last year.

The party continued overnight and somewhere between mid and late morning Tyler, who worked as a trainee aircraft electrical engineer, started to display signs suggesting he had taken drugs. The court heard he suffered a cardiac arrest and was taken to Rotherham General Hospital, where he later died.

A toxicological screening revealed Tyler had MDMA – the scientific name for the drug ecstasy – and cocaine in his blood, a combination which proved fatal.

Assistant coroner Mark Beresford said: “On the balance of probability it is my belief that Tyler ingested MDMA knowingly, but it is clear to me that he was not a regular drug user. Alcohol may have also had an affect on Tyler’s usual inhibitions and decision making process. Dr Smith, who carried out a toxicological screening, said as a naive user Tyler was more susceptible to the affects of the drugs.”

But he added he could not rule out the possibility Tyler did not take the drug knowingly and it was possible his drink may have been spiked.