A Crowle mum has spoken of the terrifying moment she realised her 18-month-old son had accidentally locked himself in their first floor flat.
When Jade Easthope momentarily left tot, Harvey, in their flay by himself as she took his pushchair down a single flight of stairs and out the front door on Friday morning, she thought nothing of it.
But when she returned seconds later, she was horrified to discover that Harvey had accidentally locked the door, leaving her on the other side - with no way of gaining access to the flat or her son.
“I just couldn’t believe that he had locked himself in, I’ve done this several times before and this had never happened,” said Jade of Windsor Road, Crowle.
The 22-year-old told the Epworth Bells: “I was terrified. I didn’t know what to do next, so I ran next door and asked my neighbours for help.”
She added: “They told me to ring the fire service as that was likely to be the best way of getting him out of there safely.
“They arrived within a few minutes, and were really good because they helped to calm me down and explain what the best thing to do next would be.
“They went up the ladder to the flat, and got in that way and then unlocked the door.
“When they opened it, Harvey was a little bit teary but he was okay.
“I just want to say thanks to the fire service because they were absolutely amazing and were so helpful.
“To me it always seemed safer to leave him in the flat, instead of outside when I took the buggy down.
But I’ll make sure that front door key never leaves my sight from now on.”
Commenting on the incident, a Humberside fire and rescue spokesman said: “Officers from Humberside Fire and Rescue received a report of an 18-month-old male child locked in a flat.
“They used a short extension ladder to gain access to the property through open window.
“The child was left in the care of his mother.”