Widow in plea for information after Doncaster man dies from asbestos related cancer

Doncaster gas technician, Dale Yarrow, died from asbestos related cancer aged 49.
Doncaster gas technician, Dale Yarrow, died from asbestos related cancer aged 49.

The devastated widow of a Doncaster gas technician, who died from an asbestos-related cancer, is appealing for information from his former colleagues as an inquest rules he was exposed to the deadly dust at work.

Dale Yarrow, a gas technician from Hatfield, died at the age of 49 from mesothelioma, which is a cancer of the lining of the lungs that is caused by exposure to harmful asbestos, dust and fibres.

At an inquest into Mr Yarrow’s death at Doncaster coroners court yesterday, HM Coroner Nicola Mundy gave a conclusion of death caused by industrial disease.

His wife Debbie has now instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how and where her late husband was exposed to the hazardous substance.

Together Debbie and her specialist lawyers are now appealing to his former workmates to help provide information on the conditions he endured decades ago.

Debbie is urging his former colleagues in the 1980s at Cawthraw, MP Burke, Dewsbury Civil Engineering, Berminghams, Enterprise, ARM (Enterprise Utilities), EMC, McAlpine, AMEC Utilities and Balfour Beatty to come forward with information on her husband’s exposure to asbestos and if more could have been done to protect him.

Debbie, a mother-of-four, said Dale’s work would often require him to work underground, maintaining gas pipework. She believes his role may have required him to cut through asbestos lagged pipes, disturbing the material and creating a dusty atmosphere where he would breathe in dust and fibres that led to his mesothelioma.

Simone Hardy, an expert asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell leading the case, said: “It’s devastating for people to find out that they have developed a condition caused by exposure to asbestos decades earlier simply because they went to work every day, particularly when the condition is incurable, as it was in this case.

“Unfortunately, Dale’s death came before his case could be fully investigated and we are now calling on anyone who worked with him to come forward to help, and his family, understand how and where he came into contact with the substance that was responsible for his death at such a young age.

“His family has been devastated by their loss and understandably want to know why their husband and father was taken from them at such an early age and if more could have been done to protect him while he was at work.”

Debbie said: “It’s hard to express just how difficult Dale’s death has been for all of us. It was absolutely heart breaking to see his health deteriorate with a condition, which was caused by him going to work every day and simply providing for his family.

“We have all been left with a hole in our lives, but our main focus now is to find out how and where Dale was exposed to asbestos so we can secure justice in his name.

“No amount of money will make up for the loss of Dale or the fact our time together has been cut short, but we hope his former colleagues will come forward with the information we need to hold those responsible for his exposure to asbestos to account.”

Anyone who may be able to help with information about the working conditions at any of the above companies should contact Simone Hardy at Irwin Mitchell on 0114 274 4420 or email simone.hardy@irwinmicthell.com