Raid brothers locked up for nearly 21 years

A ROBBER has been jailed for 17 years after threatening punters and staff at a bookmakers with a sawn-off shotgun.

A court was told Paula White was left so terrfied by the raid at Ladbrokes in Thorne that she has been left scared of men, will not let her husband touch her and is afraid to go out alone. She has not been able to return to her job of 11 years.

Only one of three masked men who burst into the shop in Millfield Road has been caught - Darren John Parfitt, 41, of Miller Close, Thorne.

He admitted two robberies and two charges of possessing a firearm with intent to commit an offence.

Another robbery took place at Owston Ferry Post Office, where OAPs were told they would be shot if postmistress Lynne Beck did not hand over money. The raiders fled with £2,750.

Parfitt’s getaway driver in Owston Ferry was brother, Paul Christopher Parfitt, 42, of Cedar Road, Thorne. He was jailed for four years and eight months for the robbery, which he admitted.

Judge Robert Bartfield said: “The legacy of this day still lives with Paula White and will probably do so for the rest of her life.

“She is worried to this day because she thinks she will be hounded by someone seeking revenge on her family.”

David Gordon, prosecuting, said Mrs White and another colleague were in Ladbrokes with two customers when the raiders pounced.

They forced a customer to lie down and pointed a gun at his head before escaping with £2,400 in cash.

Darren Parfitt was arrested a few days later after forensic scientists discovered his DNA on a rucksack that had been left in the Owston Ferry robbery.

A stolen Vauxhalll Zafira was found nearby and a footprint in the mud next to it matched trainers worn by Paul Parfitt.

The brothers had more than 50 previous convictions between them but none for robbery, said Mr Gordon.

Darren Parfitt had been desperate for cash to pay off mortgage arrears and a £5,000 court confiscation order for a previous offence.

Representing him James Bair, said his client had helped police recover one of the shotguns and had been seriously-ill in prison with high blood pressure.

Tim Savage said Paul Parfitt had received only £60 for his role and, had he known firearms would be used, he would not have got involved.