Police are urging elderly people to make sure their homes are secure after burglars raided the homes of two frail pensioners.
Two intruders got into the home of a 77-year-old man in The Oval, Conisbrough, and sneaked into his bedroom before threatening him while he was still in bed.
The brave pensioner shouted and scared the two men, who fled the scene empty handed.
Police said it is believed they sneaked in through an unlocked door and the incident came just a week after burglars had broken into a 93-year-old woman’s Denaby home.
In both cases the victim’s were left traumatised and police are now urging elderly people to make sure their homes are kept secure, especially in the festive season when presents may be under the tree.
PC Melissa Cole said: “These are terrible attacks. I would urge residents to make sure their doors and windows are locked, and to not leave any valuables on display.
“It may also be a good idea to keep an eye out for anyone acting suspiciously and to check on each other, as neighbours, to make sure people are okay.”
She added police do not believe both incidents were linked at this stage but urged anyone with information to come forward.
The Conisbrough incident happened on Monday November 3 at 6.30am.
The incident in Denaby happened between 10pm on Sunday October 26 and 8am on Monday October 27. On this occasion, the terrified elderly woman was in bed when she awoke to find a man in her bedroom going through her cupboards and drawers.
The thief asked her for money, and then emptied the contents of her wardrobe on top of her as she lay in bed. A number of items were stolen from the woman’s home including her purse and a flat screen television. She reportedly found it difficult to get out of bed after the thieves left her home, due the weight of the items that had been thrown on top of her. The community has since rallied to support her with the installation of new CCTV cameras.
No arrests have been made. Call police on 101.