Hooligan bites off man’s ear

NEWS: News.
NEWS: News.

A HOOLIGAN from Doncaster has been jailed for biting off most of a football supporter’s ear during a mass brawl at a railway station.

Scott Lawson, aged 27, from Armthorpe, crunched down on Hibernian fan Ian Taylor’s ear last March 10, when a crowd of fans got off the train in Glasgow after a football match, a court heard.

He was part of a group of football ‘casuals’ who challenged the fans of Edinburgh club Hibernian to a fight.

Co-accused Warren Miller, 28, and Stuart Younger, 30, from Alloa, in Scotland, were each jailed for a year for their parts, and handed five-year football banning orders.

The men were caught on CCTV in Glasgow’s Central Station wreaking havoc when the groups clashed.

Passing sentence yesterday at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Sheriff Martin Jones QC told them: “At the time, the concourse was extremely busy with members of the public making their way to and from trains.

“You were part of a large group of individuals who entered the station with the express purpose of engaging in public disorder and violence with football fans.”

He told them passersby tried to ‘seek refuge’ from their ‘disgraceful behaviour’.

Lawson, Miller, and Younger pleaded guilty to engaging in behaviour likely to incite public disorder by forming part of a disorderly crowd, fighting, gesticulating, throwing missiles, challenging others to a fight and placing people nearby in a state of fear and alarm.

Lawson, from Armthorpe, who was given a seven-year football banning order, also admitted subjecting Mr Taylor to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement by biting his ear.

The court was told Hibs fans had travelled to Ayr to watch a game between their team and Ayr United, and got off the train when returning to Glasgow.

Another group of men had arranged to be at the train station at the same time.

The court was told by procurator fiscal depute Mark Allan that the brawl was organised, and the group who arrived at the station in time to greet the Hibs fans had a ‘Rangers/Chelsea connection’.

When the two crowds came together, chaos ensued to the horror of others in the station.

CCTV footage of the incident was played in court and showed the three men taking part in the mass disturbance.

Lawson was seen attacking Mr Taylor - and his teeth staying fixed to his ear for several seconds.

Mr Allan said: “In the aftermath, what was recovered by police and photographed by police lying in the middle of the concourse of central station was the remaining part of the ear of Ian Taylor.

“He attended Edinburgh Royal Infirmary that night around 9.20pm. What was clear to medical staff was that he had lost the upper two thirds top portion of his left ear.”

Mr Taylor was given a tetanus jab and returned the next day for plastic surgery when the ‘ragged edges’ were removed and his ear was stitched.

Jim Clarke, defending Lawson, said his client was not part of the organised group, and got involved when someone he had met in a pub was knocked unconscious.

He also claimed he did not know the opposing group he was fighting with were Hibs fans.

The court was told Miller and Younger were drinking before the incident, heard there would be an organised brawl, and chose to get involved.