A beloved Doncaster plasterer fell to his death after sitting on his bedroom window sill to get some ‘fresh air’ on Christmas morning, his inquest heard.
Doncaster Coroners’ Court was told how in the run up to Christmas 2014 plasterer Lee Pearsall, of Ellershaw Lane, Conisbrough, had been feeling ‘unwell’ and experiencing pain and pins and needles in his left arm, which persisted for more than two days.
On Christmas Eve afternoon, the ‘happy’ 30-year-old had visited the pub with friends, but returned to the home he shared with his parents Paul Pearsall and Lynn Reagan earlier than expected, at about 9pm, due to still feeling ill.
In a statement read in court, Mr Pearsall said Lee, his only son, had told him he was ‘saving’ himself for Christmas day and went to bed early.
At about 8.30am the next day, Lee took the Christmas presents he intended to give to his family downstairs, where he spoke to his mum to tell her he had been ill throughout the night, before returning to bed.
Just more than an hour later, Mr Pearsall said he realised something was wrong when he heard Lynn screaming from their son’s first-floor bedroom, after she saw Lee lying face down in the garden below.
Mr Pearsall said: “We rang the ambulance, and I began doing resuscitation on him.
“When the ambulance arrived they started working on him, but they couldn’t save him.”
Steven Beck, a consultant pathologist, told the court Lee died from a fractured neck and spine, due to a fall from height.
He said a toxicology report revealed that Lee had not taken any drugs prior to his death.
In his statement, Mr Pearsall said he was aware his son had a ‘habit’ of sitting on his window sill to get some fresh air.
He said: “I was always telling him not to do it, because it was dangerous, but he would just say stop moaning.”
Investigating officer, PC Chris Rogers, said a cigarette butt was found next to Lee’s body, which he said was ‘consistent’ with the cigarettes found in a drawer in the plasterer’s bedroom.
At yesterday’s hearing, Mr Pearsall paid tribute to his son, describing him as a ‘mischevious’ and hard-working man, who had never caused any his family any problems and led a ‘happy and healthy’ life.
Senior Doncaster coroner, Nicola Mundy, recorded a conclusion of ‘accidental death’.
She said: “He went to his bedroom and sat on the window ledge. I will also include he was smoking a cigarette.
“At some point he lost his balance and fell from the window ledge and suffered fatal neck and head injuries.
“I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to his family.”