Calling the police this Christmas? 999 or 101?

editorial image

Over the Christmas period Humberside Police are asking people to think carefully before they dial 999 as trivial calls could potentially put lives at risk in a genuine emergency.

Call takers will deal with those genuine calls that need a police response but some people call 999 when they don’t actually need the police or when the situation is not a genuine emergency.

Please do not use the 999 system to report general nuisance or antisocial behaviour e.g. noisy neighbours or an abandoned car.

You should only ring the 999 system if there is a direct and immediate threat to life/limb or to property.

You can contact Humberside Police on 101 for every other non-emergency situation.

If you have information about crime in North Lincolnshire, Hull or the East Riding, phone 101 or Crimestoppers, which is anonymous on 0800 555 111.

Calls to 101 cost 15p for the entire call from both mobile phones and land lines.