Blaze caused by ‘smoking materials’ breaks out at Doncaster flat block

editorial image

Two Doncaster women have been led to safety from a fire that started in a fifth-floor flat. 
A total of four fire engines and the turntable ladder were called to a block of flats at Grove Place, Balby Bridge, Doncaster yesterday afternoon, following reports of a fire in a fifth floor flat.

On arrival firefighters found a small fire in the living room which is believed to have been started by smoking materials.

Two women were led to safety by fire crews, while a bedridden man was in the bedroom of the flat.

Firefighters quickly put the fire out, with no injury to the man.

The two women went to hospital as a precaution.

Watch Manager Dave Newton said, “I would advise residents to take extra care if you smoke, don’t light up if you need to lie down. You could easily fall asleep, setting the bed or couch on fire and to always keep matches and lighters away from children.

“Also make sure that you have working smoke alarms on all levels of your home. If you would like a Home Safety Check and free smoke alarms fitted if necessary please call us on 0114 253 2314.”