Bed warming equipment starts Doncaster fire

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call

A 90-YEAR-OLD woman from Doncaster was treated for smoke inhalation after her bed warming equipment caught fire.

Firefighters are warning other residents to take care using similar equipment after the pensioner fell asleep with a microwaved wheat bag.

The bag caught fire after she went to bed at her home in Scott Avenue, Conisbrough, on Wednesday night.

She was woken by her smoke alarm and managed to carry the bag to the bathroom to put the fire out with water.

Crews from Edlington and Doncaster arrived around 11.40pm to find smoke bellowing out of the bedroom window and scorch marks on the bedding.

The woman was given treatment by ambulance crews but did not need to go to hospital.

She told officers she would not have woken if it had not been for the smoke alarm.

A fire service spokesman said: “We’re urging people to ensure their elderly friends and relatives have working smoke alarms fitted.

“With the autumn on its way, we’re also warning people to check electric blankets before their first use of the year.”