Cunningham ready to make big chance count

Jason Cunningham
Jason Cunningham
0
Have your say

Jason Cunningham feels he has been starved of opportunities in the past but is determined to grasp a major chance with both hands this weekend.

The Doncaster fighter will challenge Martin Ward for the Commonwealth bantamweight title on Saturday night at the Dome.

And after the frustration of watching opportunities pass him by in the past, the former ABA champion insists he will not miss out on this one.

“I’ve always been dedicated, always put the work in but for whatever reason, opportunities didn’t come,” Cunningham told the Star.

“Things weren’t happening for me.

“But I moved to Stefy Bull in Mexborough and we’ve been stepping it up ever since and we just want to keep on it.

“I needed the step up and I was so hungry for it.

“I’ve been under the radar but once I do a number on Martin Ward, people are going to have to take notice that I’m the real deal.”

Not only is Ward’s Commonwealth strap on the line, but also the County Durham fighter’s world ranking.

Ward met Stuart Hall for the IBF bantamweight title late last year – a fight which ended in a technical draw after an accidental cut was suffered by Ward.

Cunningham knows with victory he will move a step closer to joining fellow Doncaster fighter Jamie McDonnell on the world stage.

He said: “I want to do what Jamie’s done.

“I believe I can do it but it’s about taking one fight at a time.

“It’s going to take a lot of hard work but I’m more than ready for that.

“I look up to the likes of Jamie and Gavin McDonnell and Jon Jo Irwin who have flown the flag for Doncaster in boxing.

“I want that. I want all of Doncaster behind me on Saturday night and I want to bring the cameras here for big fights in the future.

“This is an unbelieveable opportunity for me and I won’t let it pass me by.

A small number of tickets are still available for Saturday night by calling (01302) 303959.