VIDEO: Off-air Radio Sheffield host Toby Foster confirms he will return to breakfast show on June 12

Off-air BBC Radio Sheffield host Toby Foster has confirmed that he will return to the airwaves on June 12 - after nearly three months' absence.

The breakfast show presenter was placed under investigation by bosses over his use of social media and has been absent from the station since March.

Toby Foster will return on June 12.

Toby Foster will return on June 12.

Last month, he confirmed on Twitter that he would be back at the station and has now revealed he will be back at his desk on June 12 - just a few days after the General Election on June 8.

In a video interview with The Star's Graham Walker to promote his upcoming Wentworth Live Music Festival, he said he had been "missing" the show and added: "I can't wait to be back."

He said: "I'm back on June 12 on BBC Radio Sheffield on breakfast. Obviously I'm missing it, but you know, something like this, I've been working very hard on.

"It's a big do, bigger than we thought when we took it on. We've been working hard on it.

"Of course I am missing the radio and all the great people at BBC Radio Sheffield. Can't wait to be back."

Last month the 47-year-old actor and comedian denied he had been sacked by the station after rumours began circulating about his disappearance.

The BBC issued a statement saying that Foster was being investigated over his use of social media.

A BBC spokesman said: "The impartiality of our journalism is of the utmost importance to us.

"We have clear social media guidelines, which we take very seriously. We have spoken to the people concerned and we are continuing to investigate."

The investigation is believed to be in connection with a series of tweets Foster posted on March 22 - the day of the Westminster terrorist attack in London.

On that date he tweeted: "Look Twitter. I'm home now, and I've just told 'Bel I'm in trouble. She says I've got to go in the naughty step. #reallife."

Sports presenter Paul Walker has been filling in for Foster on the breakfast show.

The presenter has previously been in hot water with BBC bosses after being suspended for six weeks in 2013 after calling his boss a "c***" on a tweet.

Foster, who starred alongside Peter Kay in smash hit comedy Phoenix Nights, has spent his time away from the station to help organise Wentworth Live which is due to take place later this month and will feature the likes of Tony Christie, Heaven 17, T'Pau and Lemar.

The event will take place at Wentworth Woodhouse on May 28.