DCSIMG

Doncaster man’s narrow escape from house fire

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

A Doncaster man had a lucky escape last night when his settee went up in flames as he slept on it.

Fire officers say they are amazed the man, in his 60s, was not seriously burned.

He escaped from his home in Haigh Road, Balby, with slight smoke inhalation.

Fire chiefs say having a working smoke alarm has probably saved his life.

The man, who was in the house on his own, had fallen asleep on the settee in the living room while smoking a cigarette.

The furniture caught fire and was quite badly burned but the occupant was roused by the smoke alarm going off and was out of the house by the time Doncaster fire crews arrived at 8.20pm.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were quite surprised he was not more seriously injured because of the amount of damage to the settee and living room.

“This incident shows the danger of not ensuring that smoking materials are properly put out.

“It also proves that smoke alarms do save lives. This was a very lucky man.”

He was checked over by paramedics but is not believed to have needed hospital treatment.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page