Man escapes burning flat
A MAN had a new year lucky escape from his burning flat.
Fire crews were called to a flat above a bakers’ shop on Barnsley Road, Goldthorpe, at about 3.30am on New Year’s Day, after an unattended pan burst in to flames.
The man who lived in the first floor flat had started to cook, but then fell asleep without turning off his power source.
Fire services from the Dearne and Adwick stations attended and were there for almost an hour putting out the blaze. The flat resident was unharmed.
The cause of the fire was classed as accidental, but the South Yorkshire Fire Service repeatedly warns people not to leave cooking unattended. If fire breaks out, they advise people to leave the building and contact the fire service as soon as possible.
They also warn people to fit smoke alarms and to take special care when tired or after going out drinking. Half of all deaths in domestic fires happen between the hours of 10pm and 8am.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thorne
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West