Lifesaving smoke alarm law in name of tragic Doncaster tot praised

Libby-Jayne Hornsby, who has tragically died following a house fire in Conisbrough.

Libby-Jayne Hornsby, who has tragically died following a house fire in Conisbrough.

0
Have your say

Plans to introduce a new smoke alarm law – which was prompted by the death of a little girl in a house fire near Doncaster – has been welcomed by a major letting agent.

The Government announced it will introduce new legislation to require landlords to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in private rented homes after Libby-Jayne Hornsby, two, died in a blaze in October 2013.

Lettings specialist Belvoir, which handles thousands of property lettings across Doncaster, praised the move as a critical step forward in home safety.

Dorian Gonsalves, the firm’s commercial director, said: “Many landlords, especially those new to the private rented sector, may not appreciate the detailed, and growing, levels of fire safety legislation governing rental properties. Fire safety considerations and compliance are a critical factor when putting a property up for rental and this has always been a complicated area, with different regulations for different types of properties in different parts of the UK.”

Tragic Libby died in a blaze at her family’s private-rented home in Don Street, Conisbrough, and investigators found no working smoke alarms had been fitted.

But the new law will require landlords to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in private rented properties – something which they were not previously required to do. The new regulations will be laid in Parliament and are due to come into force on October 10 this year.